Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat drooling and losing weight

keikoasmom
August 1st, 2007, 01:45 AM
My poor old kitty, Calvin isn't looking too good.
He is 14 years old and used to be a big, husky boy (grey and white with light green eyes) who ran the neighborhood but wasn't that concerned about it!
This year he's really slowed down and I took him to the vet about 3 months ago because he was looking really lethargic and sick. Not eating.
They kept him for a couple of days, said he was dehydrated, but otherwise seemed to be ok after he started eating again.
I had to try everything to get him to eat, and his favorite food ended up being Pet Promise.
Now it's summer, and I thought because of the heat, he was laying around more than usual, but today I noticed he was drooling. Just wet chin every time I checked. He really looks thin again and sort of dirty and thin. He's been staying outside a lot (we have a really big yard) and I didn't realize how bad he looked, I didn't see him at all yesterday.
Poor kitty. :frown:

growler~GateKeeper
August 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM
Sounds like its time for another visit to the vet. Did he have blood & urine work done the last time? These tests are good indicators of what is going on w/your guy.

good luck, keep us updated :goodvibes:

badger
August 1st, 2007, 03:43 AM
I know the heat makes cats behave differently but it sounds like he's in pain. Drooling could mean a problem with his teeth or nausea (either could affect his ability or desire to eat). Either way he feels bad and needs to see a vet. Please take him today. A blood panel is an excellent idea.
Come back and let us know what happens, OK?

Love4himies
August 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Drooling could also be an indication of ingestion some type of poison or irritant. He should be taken to the vet to get blood work done as soon as possible as poison can cause kidney and liver damage very quickly.

krdahmer
August 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
If he ventured outside the yard or got into something he could be very very sick, he needs to see the vet again asap. Keep him indoors until the problem is resolved.

Jude.Zupp
August 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi there,

Your cat may be drooling because he recently had a seizure. I used to find my cat drooling to the point where there would be puddles beneath him. We took him to a vet who said that he may have eaten something poisonous (he's also outside often). We thought this was true until we witnessed him having a seizure. Following the seizure, he began to drool profusely. We've seen him have three seizures since, each time followed by the salivation - which we've learned is typical following seizures. Like your cat, mine has also been losing weight.

Watch out for seizures; they can be as subtle as a few twitches, dilated pupils and disorientation. We're taking our cat in for blood work, hoping to find some clues. Perhaps you could do the same.

Good luck! I hope your kitty's condition improves.

ChiChi1994
August 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
My female cat ChiChi is 13 yrs old and just a little over a month now she has been going downhill. At first she had an ear infection(just the right side), did bring her to the vets...more like 4 different ones. I got different answers from each one and nothing was working...so then decided to try another. Well this new Doctor I have for my ChiChi is very good and seems to know her job very well, has patience & sure cares for animals. With noticing Chi Chi with the first visit, warming right up to her new Doctor...I decided to give this one a try.
We found out she had a yeast infection, bacteria & wax built up in her ear. We treated her a week with some medicated ear drops. It looks so clear but now somehow or another she began to drool and has her tongue cocked to the side and won't eat or drink. Right now the only way she can eat is with me syringing her with food/water but tends to put up fight(even with wrapped in a towel). When I brought her in when this was happening the doctor looked in her mouth and found ulcers, figuring it maybe from the ear infection draining down to her throat but thought at first she had kidney failure but the blood work came back all good...had to treat for the ulcers along with a steriod pill to bring back her appetite. But after that treatment there are still a few ulcers left and she hasn't come around to eating/drinking yet and at times find blood coming from her mouth. I took her last week to get a biopsy done to see if there is any sign of cancer. We are waiting to hear back this week.
I've heard cat's can take a stroke...in which I'm going to ask our vet too.

Thought of writing to let you know that I am too faced with the same kind of problem and trying to get some answers...
Get your cat in to see a Vet. A.S.A.P., it could be a serious problem for your baby. After seeing this topic, I just had to join.
Wishing your cat & yourself all the luck. Let me know how he is doing.
~All the Best~:pray: