Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hard Abdomen/Drank Milk?

benjamin2207
August 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM
My dog ate some ice cream yesterday and today he seems constipated. I've only watched him go outside once and he didn't poop. But his stomach is hard and he's a little lazy. I'm hoping he's just constipated from the ice cream but I'm not sure the side effects. Does anyone know?
I ask because he had a large tumor (7lbs on a 35lb dog) and his spleen removed in February and this was how we first noticed something was wrong. I really don't want to go through that again. They said it wasn't cancerous and he's been fine since.

Thanks for any advice,
Ben Marshall

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the board, Ben.

How much ice cream did he eat, and what kind? Natural or artificial sweeteners? Was there dark chocolate in it? (Artificial sweeteners and chocolate can be very toxic to dogs.)

If the symptoms aren't gone by tomorrow, Ben, given your dog's history, a vet visit would be a very good idea. And if the symptoms get worse overnight, I wouldn't hesitate to find an emergency vet or at least an on-call vet to talk to.

I hope all turns out well! :fingerscr Please keep us posted.

benjamin2207
August 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
Thank you for responding. I will take him to a vet tomorrow if he's not better. I was just hoping for knowledge on the side effects of ice cream.
There was no chocolate in it, I know that's bad, it was a bananna shake from Sonic. I have to admit I gave him some. Not much, but a few spoonfulls. Is constipation a side effect?
I remember some advice I once got about giving dog's canned pumpkin for upset stomachs. Just don't remember if it's for constipation or diarrhea.

Ben

mummummum
August 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Oh poor you ~ how is he today ? Icecream generally causes the opposite to constipation. And most dogs do more than okay with bananas.

benjamin2207
August 2nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
I thought he was doing better this morning, he had the runs, it seemed. But as the day went on he seemed about the same as yesterday. He's still lathargic and seems constipated. I watched him a few times today outside and he tries to poop but doesn't.
I'm taking him in tomorrow. I was feeling his stomach and one side seems harder than the other. I just don't want to go in cause I don't know if I can handle him being sick agian.
He's been through so much in the 2 years I've had him and fought through it all so tough. He was trapped under a collapsed bridge for 5 days when I first rescued him. It took me almost an hour in waist deep water to dig him out. He was starved, and covered in mud, stickers and a bad rash. He got through that only to have some, excuse my language, ******* try to claim he belonged to him and try to sue me over him. He didn't even want him back, he wanted $300 which he says he paid. But his dates for when the dog disappeared and other times kept changing so we won that case. Then he had the tumor which he came through like a champ. Then a bad cut on his ear got infected just last month. Now this again. I don't know who it's harder on, him or me.
I'm sorry for rambling on here, but I'm scared and sad agian. I'm not usually like this, but he's my bud. You all understand so I guess this is the place to ramble!

Thanks for the support,
Ben