Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Signs of Pain

griffey13
July 31st, 2007, 09:54 PM
This is probably a really stupid question. I am wondering how to tell if your dog is in pain? I am wondering what signs to look out for. He is a very tough dog that has been through things like TPLO surgeries without showing any obvious signs of pain. Now with his cancer, want to make sure he doesn't suffer and what to watch out for. Thank you!

Frenchy
July 31st, 2007, 09:58 PM
It depends on your dog. I've been there with Daisy , it was very hard because until the end , she seemed to be fine. She had a high pain tolerance and she was the kind of dog that only wanted to please me , so she would never show any signs. Your best bet is too look for quality of life , wich means , if he's eating ok ? Pooping and peeing ok ? Does he seem like his old self ?

griffey13
July 31st, 2007, 11:14 PM
Your precious Daisy sounds alot like Griffey. Lately he seems to be slowing down though. Eating and eliminating fine but sleeping alot, not wanting to go for walks and panting more than usual in this heat. He is a ladies man so does perk up and puts on his show, wiggling around with a toy, still for them. Is panting a sign of pain? I am getting a second opinion on Thursday. Why, I am not exactly sure as in my heart just know he could not tolerate chemo based on his present health, past health history and response to treatments in general. I just want to make sure he is comfortable and not in any pain and it is just so hard to tell.

Frenchy
July 31st, 2007, 11:19 PM
Yes , it is hard ! :frown: You will question yourself , look at him for signs. :grouphug: If he's panting , probably the heat, you can make him yogourt ice cubes ( I use Liberty organic probiotic plain yogourt , same price as the other yogourt) I put some blueberries in them . The dogs love them ! When Daisy stopped eating , I would give her baby food (the meaty ones) and ground beef and rice.