Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help with 3 year old pit bull

Boubear
July 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I have a pit bull, she will turn 3 in September. We got her back in April. She is great and everything, except that when she gets excited, she jumps on the couch and dry to chew up the cushions. When I try to stop her, by saying NO, she starts growling and barking at me. She will not listen when I tell her to get down, she just keeps growling and barking.

Please help!! I don't know what to do to stop this behavior!!

clm
August 1st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Time to either get a trainer in house or take her for some obedience training.

Cindy

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
I would be tethering my dog to me at all or most times and training her to do something other than kamikaze'ing the couch when she gets excited. For instance let's say it's the doorbell that gets her going. You will need a friend to help you set up the training situations and some time to work on each of them. And, please note that she may or may not transfer the newly learned behaviour to each of the situations that gets her excited and anxious.

So, Person A is in kitchen with dog tethered at waist (it's also useful to have a short lead, like a traffic lead attached to her collar or to a body harness). Person B rings the doorbell. Dog starts to go ballistic. Person A quietly and firmly gets dogs attention, if necessary by placing self in front of dog and standing on her tether so that she can't bolt "Thank you Dog, that's enough. Sit please." Don't repeat the command, don't speak loudly ~ and monitor your own voice, posture for anxiety (stand tall, slightly bent forward). Place her in a sit if she doesn't respond within seconds. "Very good girl" once in a sit and you have held her attention for a few seconds. Taking her by the short lead so that she can't bolt walk slowly to the door and have her sit as far from the door as her tether will allow. Open the door. If she bolts, let the door close, get her back into the sit (again stand on her tether and pull back on her short lead if needed or place her phsyically into a sit) and let her focus on you for a few seconds. Repeat, repeat, repeat until you are blue in the face . :D

What you are looking to do is short-circuit her response (over anxious, over stimulated) with a new behaviour that requires her to calm her self with work and focus. You can use a sit/ stay command or a "go to your place" or any other behaviour that is calming. I would not use treats in this kind of training situation.

That's my suggestion !

Boubear
August 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thank you mummummum

I have been reading this site, and yours and others tips have done the trick!!

I realized that I was letting her be dominate over me, and this is why she did not listen. So this morning, we started all over again, with training. She is no longer allowed on the couch for any reason, and she no longer has the upper hand. I have noticed a change already. I will keep reading and training!!

We just got her in April, it's my first time training a dog. My husband trained our last pit bull, but that was before I met him, so I have never gone through this kind of training. But I'm enjoying it, she is really smart and catches on quickly. But she is stubborn, we're working on that!! :laughing:

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Most welcome. I don't have a Pittie myself but have fallen in love with them (I also know how bull-headed they can be :laughing:). We have a terrible law in Ontario called the Dangerous Dog Act (Bill 132) which is like a genocide for pitbulls. I'm not sure where you live and whether you face this tyrannical discrimination (yet...:sad: ) but you might want to do an internet search for a pitbull co-op type organization. You can get together with other pittie people for meet-ups and walks and to make sure your rights are protected.

And I'm glad you've joined pets.ca ~ we've got lots of pittie people around and about ! BUT, hey wait a minute ~ you haven't posted any pix in the photo forum yet !

Boubear
August 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Most welcome. I don't have a Pittie myself but have fallen in love with them (I also know how bull-headed they can be :laughing:). We have a terrible law in Ontario called the Dangerous Dog Act (Bill 132) which is like a genocide for pitbulls. I'm not sure where you live and whether you face this tyrannical discrimination (yet...:sad: ) but you might want to do an internet search for a pitbull co-op type organization. You can get together with other pittie people for meet-ups and walks and to make sure your rights are protected.

Yes I live in Ontario, and before we got her, we made sure to know the laws and everything. Hopefully the next government will take that law off the books. It's terrible!! :mad:

I'll look into the pitbull co-op that sounds interesting, and it would give her companionship of other dogs. We are not sure how she is around other dogs though, as we don't know anyone with a dog to test, but she is ok with cats!! I live in the country so there are a lot of cats around, I have one indoor cat also. :)

And I'm glad you've joined pets.ca ~ we've got lots of pittie people around and about ! BUT, hey wait a minute ~ you haven't posted any pix in the photo forum yet !

Thanks, this site is very informative, and helping me a lot!!

I haven't posted any pictures, because I lost my connector cable for my camera, I'm still looking for it!! :laughing: I'll post some as soon as I find it. :)

mummummum
August 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Well, we have a great one here in Toronto. There's another in Mississauga. I believe there is another in the Kingston-Belleville are as well as the London/Sarnia and I know there must be one in the near-north cuz that's where my calendar comes from :crazy: . Check out the breed-discussion forum, there is a sub-forum on BSL ~ that's where many of the Pibbles People hang out... failing that PM babyrocky or get back to me and I'll find the proper address for our co-op (hee-hee, they even let me be a member !!) and babyrocky can point you in the right direction.