Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab bleeding from the nose

JAGMAJ
July 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have an 11-year old lab who has been in good health, but several weeks ago, he started sneezing blood. The vet we took him to did not perform any tests and said that it was probably cancer, but gave him antibiotics. The antibiotics seemed to work and the bleeding stopped. A few weeks later, however, the bleeding and sneezing returned and my dog stopped eating. The vet gave him another round of antibiotics and once again, the bleeding stopped. A couple of weeks after the one-week course of antibiotics the bleeding came back stronger than ever and my dog again stopped eating. This time we took him to another vet who did a blood test (showing a slightly elevated white blood cell count) and did an x-ray which showed a small mass in the neck. The vet gave him a stronger and longer course of antibiotics and once again, the bleeding stopped and my dog started eating again. I did notice, though, that my dog could not breathe out of his nose and that it was affecting his sleeping, because every time he put his head down, his mouth closed and he would wake up shortly thereafter. A couple of days ago (two weeks into the latest round of antibiotics), the bleeding returned but not as bad as before. The vet has suggested doing an endoscopic exam, but unfortnately, I don't have the several hundred dollars it would cost and given my dogs age, I probably couldn't justify spending a lot of money anyway. Cancer seems to be a likely suspect, but the fact that it keeps getting better with antibiotics has me thinking that it may something else. On the other hand, the bleeding has now returned while he is still gettign antibiotics. The vet did say that a cancer tumor might trigger some adjacent infections, so my dog may have both. Has anybody else encountered a situation like this? If it is cancer, I may have to put my old boy to sleep, but if it's something treatable, I want to do what I can to save him within reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Winston
July 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
I have an 11-year old lab who has been in good health, but several weeks ago, he started sneezing blood. The vet we took him to did not perform any tests and said that it was probably cancer, but gave him antibiotics. The antibiotics seemed to work and the bleeding stopped. A few weeks later, however, the bleeding and sneezing returned and my dog stopped eating. The vet gave him another round of antibiotics and once again, the bleeding stopped. A couple of weeks after the one-week course of antibiotics the bleeding came back stronger than ever and my dog again stopped eating. This time we took him to another vet who did a blood test (showing a slightly elevated white blood cell count) and did an x-ray which showed a small mass in the neck. The vet gave him a stronger and longer course of antibiotics and once again, the bleeding stopped and my dog started eating again. I did notice, though, that my dog could not breathe out of his nose and that it was affecting his sleeping, because every time he put his head down, his mouth closed and he would wake up shortly thereafter. A couple of days ago (two weeks into the latest round of antibiotics), the bleeding returned but not as bad as before. The vet has suggested doing an endoscopic exam, but unfortnately, I don't have the several hundred dollars it would cost and given my dogs age, I probably couldn't justify spending a lot of money anyway. Cancer seems to be a likely suspect, but the fact that it keeps getting better with antibiotics has me thinking that it may something else. On the other hand, the bleeding has now returned while he is still gettign antibiotics. The vet did say that a cancer tumor might trigger some adjacent infections, so my dog may have both. Has anybody else encountered a situation like this? If it is cancer, I may have to put my old boy to sleep, but if it's something treatable, I want to do what I can to save him within reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

I would think it is time for a second opinion! You dont even seem to have a diagnosis!

I am sorry but if you cant justify spending money on your faithful companion that is really sad! I would do anything to help my dog! I would beg, borrow, put it on a credit card..whatever it takes...he has obviously been good to you? doesnt he deserve better! I am sorry if I sound harsh but it really hurts to hear things like this!!

We are not vets here so I think if there is bleeding involved it is serious!!!! Please get a second opinion!!

Cindy

Frenchy
July 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
If it is cancer, I may have to put my old boy to sleep, but if it's something treatable, I want to do what I can to save him within reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to ask this to a vet, you owe it to your 11 yr old dog to find out what is the problem. Too many rounds of antibiotics is not good for him. He can't breathe thru his nose ? It must be VERY unconfortable for him. :frown:

hazelrunpack
July 31st, 2007, 10:22 PM
Our old springer had some sort of nasal cancer--it was never diagnosed fully because to biopsy the suspected mass would have meant a highly invasive chiseling away of her sinuses. The symptoms were nosebleeds, much as you're describing, JAGMAJ.

She also responded to antibiotics. The nasal passages around the tumor would evidently get infected and the nosebleeds would get worse. Antibiotics minimized the bleeding for a while. Eventually, however, the antibiotics no longer worked as the tumor became more and more vascular.

The cancer did eventually kill her, but she had pretty good quality of life right up until the end.

My advice to you would be to seek out a second opinion. If the cancer diagnosis is confirmed, don't give up on your boy, though. Our springer lived for more than a year with her tumor, enjoying life and running the household. Your lab may have quite a bit of time left, even if it does turn out to be cancer. :fingerscr

Lukka'sma
July 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM
A friend of ours had a dog with the exact symptoms. He took his dog to two different vet and after about three months of vet visits still didn't have a diagnosis. Finally he took the dog to Guelph Vet College and within an hour was told the dog had aspergillosis. Surgery was done a couple of weeks later and now the dog has recovered well. It did take a lot of money to finally get the right answers however, about $8,000.

JAGMAJ
August 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry but if you cant justify spending money on your faithful companion that is really sad! I would do anything to help my dog! I would beg, borrow, put it on a credit card..whatever it takes...he has obviously been good to you? doesnt he deserve better! I am sorry if I sound harsh but it really hurts to hear things like this!!

Cindy

Trust me, I'm not happy about this. I've hardly slept in three days worrying about it. I'm in the Army and have four kids, so I don't have an abundance of money and I don't have much credit on my credit cards. My wife is not the dog lover I am, so she will throw a fit if I spend much money on a dog who probably doesn't have too long to live regardless of what I spend. I am, however, going to talk to the vet again and see what can be done. I wish I could spend $1,000 on my dog, but unfortunately, I can't. The fact that this may come down to money saddens me, but my wife will have my head if I put my dog's needs over the financial needs of my children.

sugarcatmom
August 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Trust me, I'm not happy about this. I've hardly slept in three days worrying about it. I'm in the Army and have four kids, so I don't have an abundance of money and I don't have much credit on my credit cards. My wife is not the dog lover I am, so she will throw a fit if I spend much money on a dog who probably doesn't have too long to live regardless of what I spend. I am, however, going to talk to the vet again and see what can be done. I wish I could spend $1,000 on my dog, but unfortunately, I can't. The fact that this may come down to money saddens me, but my wife will have my head if I put my dog's needs over the financial needs of my children.

Just want to let you know that there are organizations that can help with vet costs. Check out this website: http://www.imom.org/ to see if you might qualify for funding, if it should come to that.

Good luck! I hope you can at least get a diagnosis soon.

Winston
August 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Jagmag this is saddening! I am not saying that you should go against your wife or anything like that! All I am saying is that your dog deserve a chance! regardless...At the very least a proper diagnosis!

I am sorry you are going through such a trying time. I cannot imagine having to worry about what my hubby would think! I hope it turns out well for you and your dog!

Cindy

JAGMAJ
August 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Just want to let you know that there are organizations that can help with vet costs. Check out this website: http://www.imom.org/ to see if you might qualify for funding, if it should come to that.

It looks like a great organization, but unfortunately, their financial aid section has a message that, as of July 16th, they are not accepting new applications for assistance until further notice. Obviously, bad timing on my part. I'm going to ask the vet if he has an extended payment program. If so, I think I'll risk my wife's wrath and at least have the vet do a rhinoscopy to find out what the problem is.

sugarcatmom
August 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
It looks like a great organization, but unfortunately, their financial aid section has a message that, as of July 16th, they are not accepting new applications for assistance until further notice. Obviously, bad timing on my part. I'm going to ask the vet if he has an extended payment program. If so, I think I'll risk my wife's wrath and at least have the vet do a rhinoscopy to find out what the problem is.

Oh you're right, I hadn't noticed that originally. Perhaps check out some of these links (http://66.242.26.18/fa/others.htm) for other groups that also provide aid to pets in need. There are even some specifically for labs!: http://www.labsr4u.com/