Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with a ruptured eardrum

sydsmom
July 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
My Maltese puppy, Sophey, is 9 months old. She was an active puppy (almost so active that her Mommy couldn’t keep up with her energy!) until 12 days ago. She was fine when she got up in the morning, and 4 hours later, when I came home for lunch, she was walking crooked. She had a head tilt and walked toward the right. She went to the vet and was diagnosed with a ruptured eardrum (left ear.) She was put on an antibiotic and NSAID. Ok, fine. We go home and start the medical therapy.

As each day went along, she had more and more of a stagger to her walk until eventually she simply fell over when walking. Once she was down, she didn’t attempt to get up again. From about day 7 (until current) she completely lost her balance and can no longer stand AT ALL. (On day 7, she was re-evaluated at the vet and put on meclizine to try to help with the dizziness ~ I don’t see that it helped at all.) She still has the head bobble and lays on one side or the other. She has to be laying down when she goes potty; I have to throw food onto the floor so she can eat while laying down; I have to give her water thru a syringe to get her to drink anything. She seems hungry and thirsty ~ just too much effort for her, I suppose. She will scoot along the floor once in a while, but not often.

Yesterday, she went in to the vet to have her ears cleaned under anesthesia, but the vet didn’t seem to optimistic about it solving the problem. She said to give it another week or so and see if Sophey shows signs of improvement. If not, she has run out of options and will probably recommend she see someone else.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a pet with a ruptured eardrum. Do these symptoms seem “normal?” How long does it typically take for the eardrum to heal? I have asked the vet and she doesn’t have an answer. How long does it typically take to regain your strength and ability to walk? Is it perhaps neurological? Why did she get progressively worse as the days went by? Do I need to worry about muscle atrophy? Are there exercises I should be doing with her to keep her muscles “warm?” She is only 9 months old….:sick:

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Personally, I'd be looking for a neurologist asap. It sounds like you have been agressively treating this "ruptured eardrum" for some time, to no avail...I would think you'd have seen at least SOME improvement. If it is neurological, it's better to diagnose and start treating as soon as possible, as things can progress quickly.

Gosh, this is a really horrible situation for you. I wish you all the best! :fingerscr

sydsmom
August 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I took Sophey to the animal hospital/school at Iowa State University and she was diagnosed with GME, a form of encephalitis. Her immune system was attacking itself. This disease is almost always fatal. Some dogs live for 2 weeks...others for 2 years. There is no explanation as to why she got this disease. The treatment for this is high doses of steroids. Sophey did not respond to the steroids after 3 days and was still getting progressively worse everyday. She passed away Sunday, August 5, 2007. She did not see her 9 month birthday. Love your puppers everyday!! I'm so sad...not a minute has gone by today without thinking of her, and missing her terribly. :rip:

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Poor puppy to lose it's life at such a young age.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Sophey, sydsmom! :grouphug: So young :sad: Treasure her in your heart. She'll wait for you at the bridge with Sydney. :candle:

Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time. :grouphug:

clm
August 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your little Sophey. :candle:

Cindy

crazydays
August 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Sydsmom-
Wow, I am so sorry you went through this with your pup. My everything goes out to you.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
:cry: My heart goes out to you and your family.... :rip: :angel: Sophie