Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my 4 year old female cat has bacteria in her bladder

carolarrea
July 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hello!
My cat Donatella is 4 years old. When I got home Saturday night she walked to the door of my bathroom and urinated blood. I immediately took her to the ER, they run some tests and saw that there was a lot of blood and protein in her urine but no crystals. The test says that she has 20-30 cocci per hpl (I think it's an l).
The said they were going to send the culture to a lab and in 4 or 5 days we will know what bacteria she has.
They sent her home with Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium) 1ml twice a day.
On Sunday she was fine, urinating normally with no blood, but since Monday she started urinating a lot everywhere, sometimes it's just a few drops, no blood. I wanted to know if anyone know if there is something I can do to help her with the burning, urgency to urinate and discomfort? I am giving her water with a syringe, but I am not sure forcing her is helping.
If somebody has a suggestion I would really appreciate it, I hate seeing her suffer and when she looks up at me and cries it breaks my heart.

Thanks!
Carolina

chico2
July 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Carolina,IMO it sounds like UTI(urinary tract infection) to me,there is really nothing you can do yourself,she needs back to the vet,since this is a very painful condition.Good Luck:pray:

badger
July 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM
I would take her back to the vet, since she may well be on the wrong medication for what she has. If she was fine, and then not so fine, something needs adjusting.
Is she eating OK? If you give her all canned food for the moment, it will increase her water intake.
Do you think she would eat some chicken broth? If so, boil up a little chicken in water, no salt, until the chicken is really soft, take out the chicken and give it to her separately from the cooled liquid.
I hope she recovers soon.

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 04:45 PM
The culture test will soon tell you what kind of "bug" you're dealing with and whether or not the Clavamox is the appropriate treatment for it. But if you think she's in a lot of pain the vet may be able to give her something for it in the meantime. Poor kitty!

carolarrea
July 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
She is eating very well, I already tried given her the chicken broth but she smells it and looks at me like saying "are you expecting me to drink THAT!" even though se liked it in the past.
Yes I think I will take her to the ER in the evening again, I don't want to take her to her regular vet, I know they will start poking her and she will be under a lot of stress whereas the ER already knows what’s going on and will be able to help her.
Thanks!
Carolina

chico2
July 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM
That's great!! Good Luck to you and your kitty...:fingerscr
Please keep us posted,pics would be great,when she feels better:cat: