Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Controversial Video- Not sure what to make of it?

mumof4boys
July 31st, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hi:
I googled the web site today for Canidae Dog food which my dogs are eating to get some info and found, Dog-Food-Secrets.com/CanidaeRecall was listed before the Canidae site. So of course I had to check it out after all the pet food problems over the last little while. There is a video to watch with regards to all the bad stuff put into pet food and then you are sent to another page to read more info.
I was wondering if anyone else has come across this site. I did google a few other pet food brands and found it also listed before the Nutro Dog food's home page.
Do any of our experts here see any reason why I should be concerned about Canidae?

Thanks,
Taz & Buster's Mom

This is the link to what came up:
http://www.dog-food-secrets.com/canidae-dog-food.html?arid=61751207&gclid=CJi7muy80o0CFRrnPgodFBFpnQ

geisha
July 31st, 2007, 06:24 PM
I found the video disturbing which I think is the effect they want you to have. :eek: I found the wording accusing Canidae vague, for example Canidae MAY cause.
Canidae uses human grade ingredients, named meat & meat meal and good quality ingredients. They donot list unknown meat or meat meals. If you have any concerns about Canidae contact customer service.

In my humble opinion I would be very surprised if Canidae used dead dogs,diseased, dying and I can't remember the last one.

Good luck.

rainbow
July 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I was appalled when I read that. Canidae is a great food with excellent ingredients IMO. Although, I have not fed it as it is not available in my area, I did forward the website to Canidae for their perusal. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

geisha
July 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Okay now you got me thinking. I just finished reading Ann Martin's Food Pets Die For Shocking Facts About Pet Food and she wrote what the video discusses. It would take pages to summarize what she said. Suffice to say stay away from the nasty preservatives, additives and unknown meats & unknown meat meals! Read the ingredient label on the dog food bag or can.
She recommends a home prepared diet.

If you would like more information on what are nasty preservatives, & additives here's a great website for you to peruse:
www.dogaware.com

Jim Hall
July 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM
I watched the video and then got dorected to a site that wants you to buy a book , so basically it's a scare pitch.

rainbow
July 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
I watched the video and then got dorected to a site that wants you to buy a book , so basically it's a scare pitch.

Exactly. But, I still think Canidae should be aware of the website, so that's why I emailed it to them.

mumof4boys
July 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM
It was very shocking. I really can't believe that Canidae could be allowing that kind of stuff in their products. I too am really hoping that it's just a scare tactic to get you to buy this book.
I also wondered why Canidae is one of the ones pointed out, as there are so many more awful pet foods on the market that I would be more suspicious with.
It will be interesting to see what kind of reply Rainbow gets from Canidae.

Thanks for all your comments.
I thought that this really needed to be shared.

List
July 31st, 2007, 10:48 PM
That video and website are completely ridiculous! Its just a scam. Everything they claim to be "killing your pets" are not in Canidae. Canidae is a reputable company. I feed the food and feel more than comfortable doing so. Canidae uses human grade ingerdiants (antibiotic, preservative free), and my puppy is doing great on it :thumbs up . Its all just a hoax IMO!

geisha
July 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
The popular dog foods are probably the ones targetted because lots of people google the site just like you did.
It is a very good idea to be aware what's in the food you feed your pets as well as yourself but to scare the daylights out of us is shocking.

KitKatC
August 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
The information are true. but the presenation of it made it seem like dogs and cats are going into your commercial pet food on a daily bases. Purina was accused of buying meals from a supplier that used deceased dogs and cats in their meat meals. purina since then claims they haven't. Canidea uses named meat meals, so its higher quality. This whole thing seems to scare you into buying the book. shame on them.

ikshar
August 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
i started feeding canidae a couple of months ago, and I too googled before I bought. At the time that link didn't come up! Another reason to think scare tactict and hit the quality foods...
No problems on canidae, for my three malamutes!:thumbs up