Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drooling

Bella4
July 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
My 5 month old lab mix puppy Bella drools a lot everytime I take her for a car ride or put her in her kennel. It almost looks like shes foaming at the mouth. The drool comes out like water. Besides for those two places, she doesnt seem to drool at all. Is this ok?
Thanks
Sarah

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 02:11 PM
My guess is that you're seeing a stress response...how does she behave when she's in these situations? Timid/fearful/wary or relaxed/calm/content?

pitgrrl
July 31st, 2007, 02:26 PM
I'd have to agree with bendyfoot, if those are the only times she's doing it, I'd bet it's because the car and crate stress her out.

I'd also have to add that sometimes, if you don't know how your dog acts when stressed, drooling can be the only really obvious sign.

Bella4
July 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Bella kinda freaks out in both situations, especially being in the kennel, so it probably is stress.

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM
You'll want to desensitize her (slowly and gently and with lots and lots of positive reinforcements) to both of these experiences, since she'll be encountering them often during her life. There are some good articles on crate/kennel training on the web (and in these forums, especially the Training section)...you can use the same techniques for getting used to car rides.

Good luck!

Bella4
July 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for your help!