Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oksana got hurt and its all my fault

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 09:07 AM
So this weekend was the big move. I'd had Vlad and Oksana boarding at the vet so they wouldn't get out accidently during the move. Before I picked them up, I set up both the litter boxes and their little area in the kitchen for food and water. I still had lots of boxes all over and little by little have been unpacking.

Sunday late afternoon, I was petting Oksana, and felt a scab. I looked and it was a horrible looking wound. I thought she'd torn out a nail, it looked bad. So I took her to the vet, thinking she'd torn out a nail, and we realized it was a cut. The vet cleaned it, bandaged it and gave me some antibiotics, and told me to come back in a few days to change the dressing.

I couldn't figure out at the time what could have happened, until I got in the car to take her home and realized what it was.

Like an idiot!!!!!! I left a box of broken mugs out on the stove overnight. I threw the box away Sunday morning, but she must have gotten into the box at some point the previous evening. I feel horrible about this. I just wasn't thinking! I can't believe I just didn't realize she'd get up on the counter and try to explore. So now my Little Miss has this wound on her leg.

The only thing that's not making me feel worse, is she's playing around a lot, so at least I know its not bothering her so much.

mummummum
July 31st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hindsight is always 20-20 kiddo :o You have a lot on your mind and are under a tonne of stress ~ so stop beating yourself up already ! Oksana isn't !! Just chalk it up to lessons-learned. You're being the best Mummy you can be :grouphug: ~ "life" happens to all of us specially when we have too-curious-for-their-own-good kitties and doggies:grouphug:

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 09:52 AM
They are too curious for their own good. I know I need to do something about their jumping on the counter. I just don't know what to do. I'm not home during the day so I need to get something that will work while I"m gone.

I've tried the double sided tape, and that doesn't work with them. I'm thinking perhaps I can put some citrus scented spray on the counters to perhaps deter them, but how long would that work? I even saw something called a Scat Mat, that gives off some kind of electrical impulse when they step on it, but that seems just cruel. But I desperately need for them to see the counter as a no-go zone.

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Aw poor girl... I'm sure she'll be fine and she doesn't hold it against you, she blames that darn box!;)

As for keeping them off the counter, that is a battle you will inevitably lose. You may be able to keep them off while you are awake and home but when you are not watching they will be everywhere, and I mean everywhere. (I got up one mornin while at my mom's catsitting and found Smoke atop their huge living room hutch... a spot where there is no place to jump to it from... and not a speck was out of place or scratched so we still haven't figured out how she did it... I had to get her down as she couldn't figure out how to get back down herself and had been there most of the night I imagine!) All you can do is try to cat proof every inch of your house, and close the doors to areas that aren't. They will have accidents and get hurt, it happens despite our best efforts for safety. You did the best possible thing, by throwing the box out as soon as you noticed and taking her to the vets right away, so good job!:thumbs up :highfive:

They are just like children... except worse because they fit in smaller spots!!:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 10:19 AM
I'd already lost the battle in the old apartment, but I'd hoped to start new here. I guess all I can hope for is to keep them off while I'm home. Cooking is so hard with them wanting to get into what's going on. I literally can't leave the kitchen with something on the stove, and when I open the oven, I have to make sure they are out of sight for fear of them wanting to jump on the hot oven door. Yesterday when I saw them on the counter I used the water bottle. If they can at least stay off while I'm in there cooking, then I guess that's all I can ask.

It's amazing where they can get into. I am very happy to have put up the lattice. They are walking that ledge constantly, so it eases my mind knowing its there.

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Thats good, I too have to fend them off while I cook, all 6!! Palomine is the worst, I left some eggs boiling on the stove for his food and went to the living room which is attached to the kitchen for only a second to grab my glass of water and came back to find him beside the pot trying to fish the eggs out!!!:eek:

So how is the new place? You feel better now to be settling in? Sounds like the kitties like it.

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
I have a scatmat for the same reason, to keep kitties off the counters. I was hesitant to use it, had the same concerns as you, but I tried it on myself before using it in the house. On the low setting, the sensation is a little less intense than the static zap you get by rubbing your socks on carpet and touching someone's skin. It's not painful, only "shocking". The low setting is intended for cats and small dogs. I haven't had to use it in months. I set it up a few times on different parts of the counters when I wasn't around to supervise (especially at nighttime, that was the problem in our house), and it only took a few times to get the message.

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
OMG, that's scary! That's my fear. That I'll have something boiling or frying, and look away for a second and they'll get into it. I just looked online for that scat mat. It's battery operated, and when they step on it there is a small little electric shock. It's horrible, but looks safe, and I read some reviews that say it works. I'll do anything at this point to keep them off that counter. I just can't take the chance on them getting burned. As it is, yesterday I myself dropped the pot into the sink because I grabbed it wrong and burned myself. Vlad was on the counter and got hit with some hot water and he freaked. That's what I want to avoid.

The new place is getting there. I still have some boxes I decided to just put in the closet upstairs, which is plenty large, and at least they will be out of the way. My furniture looks positively sad and small!! I needed a new couch anyway, so I can't wait to get that, and I need to hang some pictures to liven the place up, but little by little.

The Dynamic Duo seem to be enjoying the stairs! Every now and then I'll be looking for one of them and I'll see them on top of one of the stairs, just looking down on everything. And they love running up and down. Man those two are fast! I'm very happy I decided to put the two litter boxes to use though and they both know they have one on each floor so that's good.

Oksana also has a new favorite spot. She sits on the ledge where the sliding doors are and looks out the window. I'm on the fourth floor so they have a nice view, especially when people are enjoying the pool.

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 10:55 AM
I have a scatmat for the same reason, to keep kitties off the counters. I was hesitant to use it, had the same concerns as you, but I tried it on myself before using it in the house. On the low setting, the sensation is a little less intense than the static zap you get by rubbing your socks on carpet and touching someone's skin. It's not painful, only "shocking". The low setting is intended for cats and small dogs. I haven't had to use it in months. I set it up a few times on different parts of the counters when I wasn't around to supervise (especially at nighttime, that was the problem in our house), and it only took a few times to get the message.

Oh thank you! I'd hoped that the shock was mild, yet bothersome enough for them to not want to deal with it.

As soon as I get paid, which is this afternoon, I'm going to see if they have them at the Petco on my way home. I want to get a first aid kit anyway. This way I can put it out tonight.

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Kinda:offtopic:

Why does the off topic face look mad? I'm not mad just off topic...

When you look for a couch, I've heard the best one for cats who keep their claws, are those microsuede ones. They can't hook the material or something. And after investing in my leather and seeing how quickly a few accidents can make it look a mess... I will definitely be trying the microsuede next! (I'm not mad about the leather though, it was such a good deal and I'd rather get to snuggle my kitties on the couch than worry about every little scratch... ):lovestruck:

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Microsuede? Is that the same thing as Microfiber, or two different thing?

That would be nice, since I like that Microsuede. I was also looking into some kind of tapestry material, which I read somewhere that works well too, in that its very durable.

dtbmnec
July 31st, 2007, 12:13 PM
I've never had an issue with Leo and Pawz getting up on the counter while I'm cooking. Now under my feet is WHOLE different story! LOL.

Then again in the old kitchen they could sit on this ledge in behind me and watch what I was doing so that made them happy. So far they haven't tried anything while we're cooking here but I can only imagine when it will happen. We've already seen little paw tracks up on top of our stove/cupboard doors above the stove.

On the other hand there's almost no place to get up on in the house because there's always something ON it.

Though I'm wondering about one of those mats for up on top of the lizard's cage.....I'll run the idea by mom and dad tonight.

Megan

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'm always imagining the things they could potentially do, which I need to not do so much, because I'm turning into a nervous wreck.

That mat will do nicely for me in the kitchen, and I'm crossing my fingers they have it at Petco so that I can get it on my way home.

Your paw comment made me laugh. Yesterday when I went to take a shower, I looked onto the bathroom counter and saw these little paw marks near the sink. I see paw marks everywhere, but it warms my heart to know they are there.:lovestruck:

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Not sure if they are the same or not. Just stay away from anything weaved, I had a couch from Sklar Peplar that bragged not to pull and tear and man it's in my basement now and you should see what the cats managed to do to that one. (they were good till I took in Palomine... sneaky little bugger got them all misbehavin!!!:rolleyes: :laughing: )

want4rain
July 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
ancientgirl if the scatmat makes you feel uncomfortable, try tin foil across the counter, if that doesnt work then try one of those sprayers that squirts water when somethign moves?? they arent too expensive but a few of them set up to spray them when they jump up there should get them every time. its startling enough they dont want to risk it. cats can be pretty thick though so make sure you use it for MONTHS until they forget they want up there and then every so often 'just in case'.

oh and make sure the tin foil is rippled a little. not completely flat. it has to make a NOISE when they get up there. tape it down too!!

the counter is where id raw the line. you can get on the bathroom sink, on the dresser.... but the table and counter are the line. :)

-ashley

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Okay, no woven then. Couches should come with a label telling you if they are durable enough for cats!

I'm going to give the scamat a try. I tried tin foil, and my kitties weren't even fazed! LOL, and sometimes even when I squirt them, they are practically drenched by the time they jump down. I'm hoping the scatmat will be the thing that works.

I really don't mind them getting on the furniture, I have no problem with them curling up on the chairs and couch. They don't shed very much, hardly anything actually, and I have no problem with them getting on the bathroom counter. But the kitchen is to dangerous. And I don't want them anywhere near the stove.

chico2
July 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
The micro-suede,is like fake suede,I have a corner unit in my den,definetly the best material if you have cats,here's a pic..
Our leather-couches in the livingroom are also good,a few scratches from the cats jumping(not sharpening their claws)just makes the leather look weathered:laughing:
As for the counters,it IS a losing battle,my cats go wherever they want,not while I am working at the counter though...

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
Oh, I love that couch! And the kitties look so comfy! See, I'd read that leather was good, because they don't like the feel of it on their paws and don't try to sharpen them. I wasn't sure about the micro-suede, if it would be the same. But I do like the feel of it, and if they won't mess with it then I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the rec.

dtbmnec
August 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Oh, I love that couch! And the kitties look so comfy! See, I'd read that leather was good, because they don't like the feel of it on their paws and don't try to sharpen them. I wasn't sure about the micro-suede, if it would be the same. But I do like the feel of it, and if they won't mess with it then I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the rec.

Oh yeah, mom has a leather chair and its got marks from claws but not a "sharpening" way. Its a rocker so Leo jumps up on the back end of it and has to steady himself. They're also found quite often (usually after mom vacates the seat) lying down on the chair. Its funny to watch. She'll get up to start getting her stuff ready for work and BAM Leo's up on the chair. :laughing:

Megan

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
LOL, maybe because she's warmed it up for him nicely!:cat:

krdahmer
August 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
the counter is where id raw the line. you can get on the bathroom sink, on the dresser.... but the table and counter are the line. :)

Man are the 'lines' blurred around here... the counter is where Buddy eats (he can't wait till I get it out of the can) and Palomine eats on the table!:laughing: We eat at the coffee table, and I maybe clean off the table once or twice a year for company! The rest of the dry food and water is on the coffee table, it's been that way ever since we had ants at the old apartment. I had to get everything off the floor.

I am however planning out a mini-picnic table style eating area for the six of them so that I can reclaim at least the coffee table!:rolleyes:

And thats just like the couch we were looking at Chico but it was a deep red colour. I heard that the fur is easy to clean off those as well, true?? And ya not one of mine has tried to sharpen the claws on the leather, but when they get running or jumping they sometimes slip a little and leave little scratches.

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have to say, the entire counter isn't a problem for me. Vlad and Oksana love messing at the sink. It's the area near the stove where I need to get them to stay away from. I have no problem with them going anywhere else.

I don't like leather, but that microsuede is something I really do like. And it looks so comfy. I like those thick tapestry type material ones too, so that's another option. Hell, anything I can do to make their life more comfortable I'm going to do. After all, they really spend more time at home than I do if you think about it.

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
ancientgirl,it's actually called Ultra-Suede and mine zips off so it can easily be washed,I've done it a couple of times.
As for hair,a good brush will remove it,stains are also easily cleaned off,a perfect material for pet-owners:thumbs up
We bought ours years ago,really cheap at IDOMO.
But ours is kind of small,fits perfect in MY den...:D

ancientgirl
August 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
If it can be washed, then all the better! I'll have to check around town at the furniture stores to see what kind of prices I can get one for.

I took the Little Miss back to the vet to have her paw looked at again. I wrapped it too tight, and the poor thing had a swollen paw when I got home! I swear I damn near started to cry! I thought I'd done some irreparable damage. But it started to get back to its normal size by the time we got to the vet. He gave me some cream, that won't harm her if she licks it off, but it will promote healing, and he told me to keep giving her the antibiotic.

I'm also cleaning Vlad's ears with some wash and ear drops. Poor Sweetie, is still having ear problems.