Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anesthesia death in cats

Janc723
July 31st, 2007, 06:29 AM
I took my cat to the vet yesterday because while i was out of town he got out and got in a fight. He had a wound on his back that was infected. The vet gave him an exam and said the wound had to be drained. Rocky was 3 years old with no medical conditions. I received a call that rocky died shortly after the procedure. I was told that he probably had a heart condition. He was never sick and i don't buy it. Does anyone have any information on what could have possibly gone wrong?

clm
July 31st, 2007, 06:51 AM
I'm so sorry your cat passed away.
You would have to ask your vet to preform a post mortem to try to determine the actual cause of death if it's not too late to do so.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
July 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Oh no, so sorry about your kitty! That's really tragic. As for a heart condition, it is entirely possible for a young cat to indeed have a congenital heart problem and not show any outward signs of illness. Do talk to your vet more about it, if only to help put your mind at ease.

Jim Hall
July 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
i am so sorry about rocky I had a 2 yr old cat that died suddenly
two wweks after a full checkup woth no problems when the vet did a post mortem he found that she had a congential heart condition,
To put your mind at ease ask the doctor to perform a post mortem .

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
:sad: :sorry: :grouphug:

badger
July 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, sudden heart failure is not uncommon in cats. Sorry you had to get such shocking news. Before having the necropsy done, I would have a non-aggressive chat with the vet. This is more than likely nothing he could have done. But I would have plenty of questions!

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that about your kitty! :sorry:

heyjude11
August 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
I"m so sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to a friend about 2 weeks ago. As others have said, its not uncommon for a cat to have undiagnosed heart problems.

SuprNtrlyAdictd
August 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I work at a vet's office and haven't seen it happen in my 2.5 years but I do know it does. Both dogs and cats. I had a friend who also worked at a another vets office and a young puppy who came in for a standard spay pass just after being put under. The pup had a reaction to the anesthesia. She cried and cried and felt horrible blaming herself. Its a very hard thing for everyone to go through. I do send my sypathies:rip: