Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Making Your Own?

OC_Spirit
July 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Every now and then I see people asking about and comparing different brands of dog leashes and such to find the best one. HAs anybody tried making their own??? A few days ago me and my bf drove out to a leather shop and picked up a few strips of already treated and tanned leather. We also picked up some rivets and snaps. Yesterday my bf showed me how to make a braided leather leash by taking apart an old one and having me put it back together over and over until i could do it without thinking about it. Then we brought out the new leather we got, I cut it in half and the first one my bf guided me in making a 2ft leash but the second 2ft leash i made all on my own! It was surprisingly easy! And the result it incredibly strong!!! The first leash and collar my bf made got sent down to a friend of ours who does PP training with American Bull Molossers. He says it is now the only leash he uses with his dogs. I am hoping to make more soon. I already have plans to make a leather martingale collar. Its sooooo much cheaper than buying it at the store or onlie. Plus making it yourself you know the quality. I will get pics soon and post them but Im curious if anybody else has ever tried making their own leather collars and/or leashes???

Lukka'sma
July 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I have never tried to make my own, but I did have Lukka's made. It is leather, about 6'. I was more interested in the clasp because she is very strong (Caucasian Ovcharka) and when she does pull I needed something I could rely on to hold and not pop open:eek: I went with the german scissor design for a clasp and so far it has held her, and let me tell you there have been a couple of times that I was praying it would or who knows what may have happened.

JanM
July 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I haven't made dog leashes but I did braid a set of reins when I had my horse. The most difficult part for me was finishing - making the loop at the end where the clasp was attached. For riding reins, I put a nylon core in it to make them stronger and so they wouldn't stretch as much. Mine were useable but I sure wouldn't win any prizes for them for beauty!

OC_Spirit
July 31st, 2007, 06:05 AM
Lukka, I know what you are talking about ;) I have been on the wrong side of a CO firing up before and was praying that the leash held (granted I didnt look scared because I know better than to react with these guys). LOL I always use heavy clips like the ones you find on horse leads. I never know what type of dog I will need to hold, not to mention my two are strong enough as it is so I would always much rather have too much than too little. When I get home again I will test the strength of the leashes.

BTW, whats the German Scissor Design clasp??? There are a couple clasps I have been looking for as I prefer them over generic clasps but I dont know the name of them so I cant find them.

mummummum
July 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, more on clasps please ~ I love my brand of leash but the clasps just aren't holding (and these are $$$ leases) ~ I want to replace them.

Lukka'sma
July 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM
I have attached a couple of pictures of Lukka's leash clasp (german scissor) it really is the only thing I trust to hold this big girl. The fellow that made it owns a dog food store here in London and he makes several type leashes and harnesses etc, he is a bit of a ahole IMO but maybe he will devulge his source to you and tell you where he buys these clasps.
His store is called The Big Bag and the number is 519-673-5940
You are going to look at the pictures and say, "But it opens in the centre." I don't understand exactly how it works but the more pressure applied to the centre, the more lock action you get.

OC_Spirit
July 31st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Ohhh ok I am familiar with that snap. I also found out the name of my favourite snap that I was talking about earlier. Its called an Italian LockJaw Alligator Snap. BTW nice pic of Lukka too ;)

Here are the leashes that I made

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/random%20things/DSC00740.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/random%20things/DSC00741.jpg