Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brown Beard

SchnauzerGirl
July 30th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hey gang,

Someone at the park told me that using a stainless steel bowl for food and water is the reason why Schultz's beard is stained brown. Ever heard of this? He is a raw fed dog so I suspect different....

Frenchy
July 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hey ! Welcome back ! Yes I've heard the same thing but really , don't know if it's true. :shrug:

SchnauzerGirl
July 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Yup, It's been awhile! I've heard that plastic bowls are bad for staining though. I think that the stains are from the bloody bones? Does anyone know how to get his beard white again [short of cutting it though!]?

mummummum
July 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Well ~ an edumecation for me! I thought the staining was caused by saliva (the droolies :D !)

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Me too, mumx3...

happycats
July 31st, 2007, 11:57 AM
Our dog used to get a stained beard as well (she was the same colour as your dog) and she ate out of a plastic bowl. .....and the floor, and the pots and pans and the good plates....:D
It's from food, and drool.

We kept it well trimmed, and washed it with baby shampoo. (not only did it stain, but it stank too :yuck: )

SchnauzerGirl
July 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thankfully he doesn't stink! Hmmm, if I could only travel back in time....

LittleMomma
August 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Well, I know stainless steel can deter acne in pets, not sure about discoloration, though. I'd say it'd be worth a try?

SnowDancer
August 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
My very white Eskimo eats/drinks from stainless steel bowls and has no staining. He also drinks bottled water which really seems to help with his eyes - and I have heard the same for those with dogs with "beards" that dip into the water.

crazydays
August 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi- my Standard Schnauzer does get a brownish color in her beard. I always attribute it to drool/food. I have used different types of dishes-no difference. I think saliva has gastric acids in it that discolor the beard. I wash her beard probably 2X week with soap and water. Her beard has responded very well to this-