Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bloody Diarhea

Chikeets
July 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
First off I will say that my Dog - 6.5 year old pitt bull who has been having 3 days of diarhea, today being the first day with blood in it is now at the vet being treated.

I am just wondering if anyone has any insight for me.

The vet showed me x-rays they took of her and said that in one it looked like there was what could be a foreign object, but in a second x-ray it wasn't there. She has not been vomitting and has had a regular appetite and her behavior has not changed. The vet thought maybe it could be a tear in her intestine.

He called me a little while ago and said before he started the IV he took her out and she had bloody stool again and she vomitted bright yellow - my guess bile.

Could she have vomitted from the sedation given to her to take the x-ray? (had to take the x-ray while she was on her back)

Anyone have any experience with bloody stool? And do you think her vomitting is a sign of concern at this point?

Frenchy
July 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with bloody stool? And do you think her vomitting is a sign of concern at this point?

First of all , thank dog she's at the vet :thumbs up Bloody stool usually means they have a sour stomach (sorry can't find the right words :o ) it gets bloody after they had diarya for a while , the vomitting (added to the diarya) is a concern , but your vet is getting her on fluid so that's good because that's what she needs right now. Your vet has to find the source , and then your dog will get better. :fingerscr

sways_bodyguard
July 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM
she is on fluids so within the next day or 2 she should be all better.
you should feed her really light easy stuff for about a week...
maybe some skinless chicken/rice etc...
was she on any meds?
this happened to my 6yr old pit in december, and it got xtremely bad...to where it was just running out her uncontrollably and it had intestine lining in it as well. very scary stuff.
this was due to the months of cyclosporine she was on for her environmental allergies...
let us know,
hopefully she will be ok...she will!:fingerscr

crazydays
July 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Sedation/anesthesia for tests could cause nausea. Your dog must have had a empty stomach to have vomited bile. He may have been very nervous. When my dog had a full set of X-rays she had to lie on her back. The Vet informed us she had been incontinent of both bowels and bladder right on the table (poor Cagney). She was very upset by the whole thing. The point I am getting at, is the process of tests in a unknown environment, can definitely cause some gastric acidity causing a dog to spit up bile. This may or may not be the problem with your dog.You will have to see what the Vet reveals to you. Also, Cagney had been having very bloody diarrhea. The cause was a allergy to kelp (found in Seameal). Because of the allergy, she produced a excess of yeast which caused the bowels to bleed . She needed to go on antifungal/antibiotic meds and she started on probiotic yogurt.

mummummum
July 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM
The blood could have been caused by small capillaries in the bowel / anus rupturing due to straining with 3 days of diarrhea. What has the Vet decided on as a diagnoses and course of treatment? Were parasite checks done ?

Chikeets
July 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thank you for all the replies.

I called the vet a little while ago and he said she had not had a bowel movement yet this morning and had not vomitted. I suggested perhaps the vomit was because of her being sedated and he really seemed like he didn't want to agree with my theory.
She had gone to the vet on an empty stomach - her appointment was before her usual meal time...plus he has her fasting now because of the diarhea.
He said she is acting normal...she is a pretty happy, playful and outgoing dog - she would warm up to anyone fast!:)

Thanks again for the posts - I will let you know how things go.