Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with digestion problems

Cheri5025
May 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I have another cat about 7yrs old and this has been an ongoing problem. He has a touchy stomach and about twice a week he eats and immediatley throws up before the food has been digested. He also cannot eat anything other that dry cat food without immediatley throwing up. Any suggestions as to what his problem is. He also is an indoor cat.

Chany
May 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Okay first, have you discussed this problem with your vet? And second what kind of food are you feeding him? :)

Cheri5025
May 12th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I have not taken him to a vet since I move to WI about 9 months ago and the last vet I took him to told me to try a rice based cat food. That was about 2yrs ago and it didn't make a difference.

mona_b
May 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Well another vet check is in order then.Especially if the rice based food has not worked.

Chany
May 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Now that you're in a different area you can try a new vet. One thing I don't undestand about cats are that they are true carnivores right? So why are people feeding this other stuff. Have you tried just meat on him and see how he makes out on it. Or maybe cats can get pancreatis too. Maybe check with Luba, Chico, or L.R on that.

amaruq
May 12th, 2004, 04:43 PM
It "could be" hair balls too. Spring is a nasty time for them.

chico2
May 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I don't know if something could be wrong with your cat,but cats do sometimes vomit,without being sick.If it's not something that happens every day on a regular basis I would not worry.
On occasion(once a month or so) my Rocky will throw up dry food looking like it has not even been chewed,usually on the sole area-rug I have :D
As for food,a good mixture of a dry(no corn) and wet diet,lots of fresh cool water,brushing to minimize hair-balls and your cats should be ok.
But reading your post again,you saying he has a touchy stomach,I think your best bet is to take both cats to a vet and have them checked out,which you'll have to do anyway sooner or later.
Ps.Just read your first post about your other cat and realize you have an emergency on your hands,vet ASAP!!