Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seizures, weight loss, vomitting

Jude.Zupp
July 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
My cat, Gigamau, has been having dramatic seizures at a rate of about one per month. Following each seizure, he salivates profusely for six hours or more. I brought him to a vet who said that if he starts to have more than one seizure per month, he should go on anti-convulsants. She also said that blood work typically does not find the underlying cause. So I have not brought him in for blood work and he is not taking any medication.

Recently Gigamau has also lost quite a lot of weight. He frequently vomits up his food right after he eats it. He drinks more water than any other cat I have known. He is also so docile that it seems abnormal for a cat. In addition, he doesn't seem to take very good care of his coat, which is extremely greasy. That said, he is friendly, chatty, active and has a healthy appetite.

Before I go back to my vet, I wanted to ask if these symptoms sound familiar to anybody. What could be causing the seizures and other symptoms? I have thought that he might have diabetes, but does that explain his seizures and his vomiting? Is blood work the first thing I should take him in to get done? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jude

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM
It sounds like a second opinion is VERY much needed here. If it were me, I would take my cat to another Vet asap.

~michelle~
July 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
i would run not walk to the vet. the vet went on initial symptoms, when symptoms change another visit is in order.

this could be many things from infection to tumour to something entirely different!

see your vet and let us know the outcome hopefully your pooch will be ok

badger
July 30th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I would have definitely ask for a blood panel. I would be surprised if it didn't give you some clues.

krdahmer
July 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I agree maybe you should see another vet, with all those symptoms I'm sure bloodwork and other tests are necessary and would tell you something (especially if it is something like diabetes).
:pray: ing for your kitty's health!:goodvibes:

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM
My 8 mth old dog was just diagnosed with Diabetes just this past week. She didn't seizure or vomit but her water intake was incredible and she lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time like your cat is doing. You are describing symptoms of diabetes also, seizure and vomiting can happen if there is too much glucose in the system (hyperglycemia) or not enough (hypoglycemia). Go to your vet and get blood tests right away. I hope that's not what it is though, if it is, it's is imperative that you get her there ASAP!

Good Luck with your kitty :fingerscr :pray: