Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dachsund pees when he's excited....HELP!!

NY1Chad
July 29th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have a 2 1/2 yr old mini dachsund. Just recently he has started peeing everytime he gets nervous or over excited. Sometimes we cant even play with him for fear of him peeing a stream of urine across our faces and everywhere else.
As a puppy he would pee when he got really excited to go outside, but that was rare. This new talent is almost daily.

What do I do?

Frenchy
July 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I would start by getting him to a vet. Just to make sure it's not an health issue.

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I agree with Frenchy. Submissive peeing is something I've seen with my own dogs but I think that ruling out the organic is always the best bet before looking at it as a training issue.

SnowDancer
July 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Agree - a visit to the vet is in order. Dachshunds are prone to crystals/stones - something to consider. We have been through the submissive wetting with newly adopted mini Dachshunds - would usually happen when we came home - at one point I held a garbage bag against my legs. But as time passed, our guys stopped doing this. One day a few years ago I was on the subway and a young woman hand a mini Doxie in her gym bag who stuck his head out to say hello to me. She asked me in an embarrassed tone if my guys had ever had this submissive wetting problem - she didn't realize it was quite common. Her dog was only about 10 months old though - and had been checked by vet. Dachshunds do have small bladders though and when they are excited, they are excited! Hope there is nothing wrong with your pup - but do check for stones. Nothing like coming home and finding Dachshund peeing blood. Shocked the heck out of me the first time it happened. We now have an Eskimo - another breed prone to stones - so I wouldn't be as shocked as I was in 1987. Just to the vet fast though.

NY1Chad
August 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone. A vet visit is DEF. in order.