Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Misrepresentations

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I have some concern that there are/is some individual/s that of recently have been misrepresenting themselves on the board.

This can be amusing to those who are doing it, but in retrospect what you are doing is actually diverting our attention to 'you' and away from the important post where we could be helping.

Making stories up, pretending to be someone else and making up a new user identification to do such is not only childish but a waste of our time.

You see what happens, is we end up reading the same sorts of things over and over again, eventually we end up not wanting to bother to respond to some posts. Why? Because it's the same as crying wolf.

10times someone may lie, but then 1time someone really needs our help.... we may be too fed up by all the untrue tales that we just won't bother.

If you are seeking attention or want the board to be 'lively' with bickering debates just know that you are potentially causing grief to someone who may truly need our support and advise.

There is no need to name names, those of you involved know who you are.
Perhaps you didn't think things through before you started this behaviour.

Maybe now you will!

Luba

Chany
May 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Also IMHO the posts that really don't pertain to pets at all should be included as well. The flower posts, the season change posts, the hockey posts etc. We have to read through all of that too and some of us find this just as unecessary as the rest.
Maybe we all should consider changing some things and some people wouldn't be encouraged to always be putting their .02 cents in just the people who can actually help.
Also ages and maturity levels should be considered which this person whom we know you're talking about probably isn't high in either catergories. Ignore her posts if they are irritating you like some of us others on here had to do.

Chany

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
The odd pic of a flower or mention of a hockey game isn't misrepresentation.
That was the title of this thread!

Lucky Rescue
May 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Maybe the admin will give us an "Off Topic" forum, for discussion of all non-pet related topics.:)

heidiho
May 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I must agree,someone that bored needs to get a life.....

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Hey thats a great idea LR :D

mona_b
May 12th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Well all I can say is this site used to be fun.But at least it's not as bad as the other site I go on...That one gets nasty and the pages go past 14 with bickering.And not very nice language either.

And people go on,piss everyone off,then change their name...But there are very wise people who catch on.Or people who use many names.

We are here to help and advise to the best of our knowledge.But then again there are those who choose not to listen.And in the end,it's the pet who suffers.And this is very frustrating to me,and I'm sure many others also.And I do believe some come on here for attention.

There is nothing wrong with going off topic at times...Sometimes it takes away some sadness on this site and gives us something to laugh about.And we get to know everyone better.

And I know we have done alot of help on here...It shows with the Thank you we get and the pm's thanking us.And I have had many.And that makes me feel very good.

Well I guess that's all for now..... :)

Bill & Bob
May 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Great idea LR! When I read the first few posts I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the hockey stuff is a problem. Although I guess it could be for some. Personally I think it's kind of nice to be able to comment on other stuff at times. Like someone else said, it's a change from routine. Not that this place is routine because I tend to see a wide variety of topics being discussed. But the approach the moderator appears to take on here is to let the site self police itself, which is fine in most situations. The "off topic forum" provides people with a venue if they want to interact with others about non-pet related topics. Once the venue is available, most people would use it I would think. Either way, I don't see it as a problem.
Anyone wants to see what happens when things go astray, just log onto any hockey team website and go to their message boards. Just be aware, you're going to see some incredibly hormone driven young males playing keyboard cowboys and threatening and namecalling, etc.
You want to see 'active moderators'? Wow, I feel for those people. They don't get paid enough if they do get paid.

As for people logging on under different names, are you sure that's actually happening? I had my suspicions as well, but very hard to prove other than IP confirmation which I doubt happens. If that is happening, wow, someone's exibiting sociopathic tendencies.

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Bill I think it's more childish playschool stuff then sociopathic.

Lucky Rescue
May 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM
If you want to see outpourings of venom, just go to my pit bull board when someone announces they just bought an over-done, huge, mastiffy blue pit bull puppy from a backyard breeder and had it's ears cropped to the skull. :eek:

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 04:04 PM
OH my!! :eek:

amaruq
May 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I must agree,someone that bored needs to get a life.....

Speaking of getting a life...shees!

The hockey thread was posted to Bill. I know he follows it...I enjoy it...my dogs enjoy it lol! sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Just wanted to bond with Bill lol!

As for the trolls.....well they will leave soon enough now that people are becoming aware of them. I been trying to be a good girl and not let the little things bother me...but somedays just can't help myself.

Calgary won he he!

chico2
May 12th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I do not agree with Chany,we are all pet-owners who do our best in taking care of our animals and as a group with different experiences might be able to help others at times.
But,talking about some current events,such as hockey,flowers and yes,even American Idol,in a friendly manner,gives us a wider notion of the people we communicate with on a daily basis and have some fun to boot.
There is enough misery out there in the world,let's enjoy the little things that make us all feel good :D From an avid Leaf-fan....GO FLAMES GO!!!!

heidiho
May 12th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Oh my god... Let it go,jesus..Whatever your problem is get over it...I knew someone would have a smart $%$^ comment to say..Does make me have a good laugh though thanks... :) :) :) :)

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 06:08 PM
sorry, but i thought i was a smart girl, but now i reconsider. i am a little confused, or just plain dumb. i didnt know any of the stuff about changing names ect, or bored people. sheesh im slow some days. oh i wish you would tell me whom it is you speak of, but then thats a little cheeky, or maybe it is me and im totally of my rocker, hmmmmm.
oh why oh why do people keep getting cranky with each other, lets all look at our beautiful pets and smile, ahhh now wasnt that nice. my mum always said 'if you have nothing nice to say well dont say anything at all', this should be our motto. but then she also said 'if three dogs howl on three consecutive nights someone in the neighbour hood would die' so im not saying it is the most credible advice.... my mum has heaps more of this 'oh so helpful' advice relating to animals, oh i just saw a spider, i had better get outside because she says if a spider comes in the house, get the washing in as it will rain, hmmmmm :D :rolleyes: :p

heidiho
May 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Well it seems some people have to let out their little snide comments because they just cant help it,talk about get a life..Ok well that is all i have to say about that...Cant we all just get along.. Guess not.

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Hey Mel

I am going to have to take some mind altering drugs to figure that one out LMAO

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 06:47 PM
oh bugger, heidiho i wasnt beign mean to you or anyone else, i was just trying (not successfully obviously) to be a funny bugger, i am sorry if you thought i was being smart to you, i really am i was just being a stupid larikin australian, oh dear i hope i havent upset anyone..
luba dont i know why you would want those drugs (oh i truly understand).
remember the three dogs, oh my mum would be proud of me, protecting the lot of ya's she would say, can you just imagine what my child hood was like, just crazy, always a pinch of salt and a knock on the wood and all that on the way out the door to school.....oh no i just heard a dog howl :D :D

Catt31
May 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Me too!!! LMAO

I'm agreeing with the sentiments that sometimes its nice to talk about other things.....just like in real life. People who have kids for instance...all they can talk about is their kids.....it gets a bit much for those of us who don't have kids. <----geared towards "new" young parents, who used to be single and carefree like me......now can't hold a conversation with anyone but their baby!! I love them, and I love their kids, but personally don't care that they puked 4 times today and had a poopy diaper!! :eek: So, that forces me to talk about my pets!! heheheheh But I am intelligent enough to have conversations about other things, like hockey or flowers or politics or reality tv or or or or or.......I could go on for hours!!

How did that song go?? ..."Don't worry....Be Happy!!!!!" :D

amaruq
May 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
AAAWWW ((((melanie)))) don't let no one bother you. I don't think you upset anyone. I think they like to upset themselves.

I hear what your saying loud and clear and that's pretty good cause I'm in Canada he he! :D

Karin
May 12th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Hey Mel

I am going to have to take some mind altering drugs to figure that one out LMAO

I guess I will have to join you Luba...I just got here, long day at work.

I have some reading to do I see.

Ms. Ho at it again?

woodbyter
May 12th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I belong to a few tractor discussion boards and they all have off topic sections where you can discuss things other than tractor related. It works quite well We all keep our tractor talk on one board and all that other stuff on the "off topic board". And if you think Rottie owners are cranky you need to meet some of my farmer friends and tractor mechanics.
I am most likely one of the biggest offenders of wandering off topic with snippets of what is happening up here. Life is pretty quiet here and a new wild hummingbird or visitations by a family of skunks - while not pets per se are nice to watch.
As for people changing names - if they do it is hard to stop and harder to prove.
I would hope those-if they exist- who are causing unrest on the board will tire of it and settle in or move on. ISP addys will not give you an exact location anyway.
Hope to see you on an off topic board sometime.
Woody :D

heidiho
May 12th, 2004, 06:59 PM
You know it sweetheart gotta keep up with all the sarcastic ones ;) out there...

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM
oh a tractor man, always wanted one myself oh a nice john deer tractor, bright red, dont know what i would do with it but i could mow all the lawns in a 50km radius for free perhaps. a man once tried to pick me up at the pub and his claim to greatness and attractivness was based on the fact that he owned his own tractor, wow, what a catch, i was tempted (only joking) but gave him a miss anyway. maybe i will go get a life today, nah bugger that it is too cold and jerry springer is on soon (now that is good dramatics and fisty cuffs)..... :D :p :rolleyes:

Chany
May 12th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Will you people relax!! I was merely pointing out that different people sift through different posts they find annoying or uninteresting. Does that mean you should stop? No, it simply means people will continue to skim posts.
I mean I've heard that a couple of times here about people having to read through posts they thought were inappropriate.
There is alot of stuff that makes this board inappropriate but it also can make it fun.
Just quit being so JUDGEMENTAL on different people with different ideas.
I'm sure there are a few of you with more comments so have at em.

Heidiho, on a personal note, quit antagonizing them. Ignore the comments you don't like, because you'll never win.

heidiho
May 12th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I try,it is just sooooo hard,what is funny is how everyone says i do it for attention,but if they look at todays posts i didnt start a thing,so yeah you are right i will let it go i am not the one with the problems here... :) :)

Bill & Bob
May 12th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Melanie, I think lots of people from Australia and New Zealand are supersticious (spelling?). I know a few 'round here, and when we watch hockey together they are constantly putting hexes and curses on players, knocking on wood, etc. etc. etc. "Hex hex chicken pex!"
Very funny, unless you are in a hockey pool with one of them. Damn hexes caused more injuries to my team than I can describe.
Good luck with the spiders mate. Hey, I hear in New Zealand there are no nasty buggers like bad spiders and snakes? Any truth to that? I know there's way too much nasty stuff that'll kill ya in Australia for me.

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM
There must be a crash course in grammar and punctuation!
It's so warm out today Sadie and I had a lovely walk this way talk this way.

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM
oh i would never say anything smart to a hockey player, i have seen some of those fellow and my god, they are so tough. NZ is a fantastic place, bloody expensive though. dad is kiwi so lived there during childhood, a bit of an odd place. they dont have snakes on land but they do have a very poisionous spider that lives several meters underground and is very rarely seen, that is their only dangerous spider, it is great, you can walk through the bush without a care, even roll i n the grass, mum gave us heaps of freedom there. now here, you have to be really aware in the bush, the amount of times i have nearly trod on a bloody big brown snake, well lets sauy i am quite a lucky person. we have 15 0f the top 25 most deadly snakes in the world, im a bush girl and there are plenty of place i just wont go, such as death adder country (my term) with lots of leaf litter on the ground (piles of it). spiders, snakes, crocs, cranky kangaroos, bugs, ticks the lot. it is pretty annoying at times. there have been plenty of times i have really been scared in the bush, say with a mob of red kangaroos who are about to fight to the death and there is no where to run and hide, now that just makes one want to run and cry somewhere. we even have to do things like check under the dunny seat at the outside toilet, as my crazy mum (and all the other crazy mums) says snakes have been known to wrap around the toilet bowl under the seat and bit, people have actually died this way, going to the toilet, red back spiders are noutoriuos for this toilet behaviour. just plain grose, i hate outside toilets for some very good reasons....... :D :p

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 08:14 PM
sorry luba, i am just to thick and lazy to do any courses in grammer, i just rely on the fact that most will get the general gist of my crazy gramatically incorrect ramblings, must have missed that one, and if i delete to many characters i lose the page i am writing on and have to start again, stupid computers fault you see... :p :p :D

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Oh I completely understand the part of that but not the other. Perhaps I'm confused but then again I do get it the part you mean. I mean afterall it's misunderstandings that we completely forget about understanding.
But you can correct me if I'm wrong Mel.

Bill & Bob
May 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Hmm, interesting. My friend from NZ played for one of the Junior All Black teams or something like that. I know hockey players are tough, but rugby players seem to be twice as nasty. I think that makes up for the tough part.

Yow. Couldn't deal with all the nasty stuff in Australia I don't think. NZ sounds more my speed. Anything with more than 4 legs, scales, has fangs or hides under toilet seats does nothing good for me.

woodbyter
May 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
And I was doing so good at staying on topic. I had not posted anything off topic for 45 minutes (actually the real reason is I hadn't posted anything at all for 45 minutes).
Then you go and wave a green flag in front of me.
John Deere Tractors, good lordy lovely lady, have you nothing better to do than bait an old man???
John Deere tractors are Green and Yellow
Fords are blue/grey or red and grey
Farmalls are red
Around here a man is judged by how many tractors he has (they don't have to even run-rusted and sitting in a field still counts).
No self respecting man has less than three. And if he is a real man they all run.
Up here we are Ford and Farmall folk and we look at the John Deere guys with a slightly strange eye.

Well there you have done it. Lured me off topic. You are an *&%$^((*tractor sniper.....
I'm a bad bad man....LOL

melanie
May 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM
lol, ha i will take green if i have to (i would prefer red for the speed factors), and apparently no self respecting aussie farm lad looking to pick up girls cannot have anything but a big john deer, lol :p , but i do look at them with a strange eye also..so are you a real man, do they all run :p ??? oh i just love to stir, im nothing but a trouble maker. dont ever try and stay on topic, oh boring, go of topic in all aspects of life, go to get bread, get of topic and go to the park,lol. you cant have adventures when in or on topic....
bill those rugby players are huge, i watched aussie play NZ the other week, NZ lossing, i thought they should just turn the game into a fisty cuffs fight then NZ would win hands down (NZ won in the end). and hey they just breed us real tough on the south side, esp our dogs :p :D ;)

woodbyter
May 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Mine are all fully restored and running. I be real REAL MAN.LOL ;)

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Can I have some of what you're having? :eek:

chico2
May 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Well,Woody and Mel,we're probably moving next spring to wild country,for the sole purpose"hubbie"can get a tractor to cut the grass and bush,his ultimate dream :D :D Strange dreams for a city-boy from France!!!
and yes,I totally agree about Rugby,it has to be the toughest sport,with the most dangerous looking players!!

melanie
May 14th, 2004, 06:07 PM
so get him a nice tactor, and make lots of money of him, advertise him to all and sundry for lawn mowing, you could be rich cause he sounds pretty enthusiastic. :D

chico2
May 14th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Definetly Melanie and a handsome one to boot :D I better supervise!!!
But at the moment,although he would love to get one,our property is only 75-160 feet,he'll have to wait for his 10acres :D
Phew,,just finished cutting the grass,getting too old for this :p
Glad you kissed and made up with the doggies :D