Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can a dog develop spots on fur?

OxyMK
July 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Please settle a bet for me!

My bulldog is white and has a patch on her eye and her backside. But she does have a bunch of spots under her fur, on her skin. My aunt is claiming that in a few years, those spots will come to the surface and appear on her fur (or something like that). I told her that I didnt think it would... Can someone tell me if this is possible?....we bet 5 bucks. :D

Thanks!

Frenchy
July 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Please settle a bet for me!

My aunt is claiming that in a few years, those spots will come to the surface and appear on her fur (or something like that).

Never heard about that ! :confused:

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I can't help you there either. But I can tell you that hair colour does change with age besides the normal greying. In example Bridie was pure blue-black as a pup, with a white toe and a very small white blaze. The white toe and blaze disappeared by the time she was four and she has developed a very obvious chocolate undercoat, now almost age 8.

seanjennduke
September 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I also have a white bulldog.he has block ptches on his skin.just "beauty marks".if i shaved him he'd look like a cow.funny.and no they wont come to his fur surface.I asked a vet

Macomom
September 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Hey, our bully has lots of black spots beneath his fur too.
Beauty marks, huh?

dartfrog
September 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Its very common in boxers too, it doesn’t change the colour of the fur just the skin :) our boxers white patches started out with just pink skin and as he got older spots started to show up. Our neighbor also has a white boxer and she also has black spots on her skin under her white fur.

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
our little one has a white chest and belly, with black spots underneath on the skin...they won't change colour, no.

Gail P
October 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Lots of dogs have spots on their skin that don't "come to the surface", but, if it's a breed that has ticking the ticking can continue to develop and it often does occur where there is a black spot on the skin. My daughter's new border collie pup has a bit of ticking coming in already on his white (face, neck, legs) and I think he's going to develop a lot more. He's only 11 weeks old right now so only time will tell how much ticking he gets. It's like dalmatian puppies that start out white and then develop their spots.

mastifflover
October 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Clark has them as well and they will not come to surface