Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog is not eating

yltan27
July 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
hi everyone...

my dog is a small mongrel and is 8 yrs old. recently about 1 to 1 n 1/2 months ago, he gradually lost his appetite. before that he used to be a greedy eater... and eats almost everything edible. i have brought him to his regular vet for 4 times and each time the diagnosis were wrong. the vet diagnosed him from having gas to lung infection n fever to simply love blues... then three days ago i brought him to another vet who did a blood test for kidney and liver function. according to the vet, his kidneys n liver are doing fine. and there were no abnormalities in his blood except that his white blood cell count is high, almost four times from normal. he also lost a lot of weight... 2 kg which according to the vet is too much for a dog his size... previously he weighed 9kg. so now the vet prescribed him with a course of antibiotics and vit B complex which suppose to increase his appetite but up to today, there have been no differences. the vet said to bring him back after finishing the antibiotics.

my dog suddenly did not want chicken/pork which used to be his favorite. even when we give him our food which smelt nice he also declined. sometimes he'll eat snacks like bread, cookies and crisps but after three four kibbles, he stopped eating n doesnt seem interested in it. he also stopped eating dry food and tinned pedigree dog food. after one two times eating the food, he just lose interest in it.

his urine looked fine and stool is also fine. we force fed him with milk twice a day since he stopped eating. but he does not vomit or have diarrhea, and he seemed to be ok except that he was a little tired lately. but he still barks at stranger and active.

also, a month ago, he limped after going outside. initially i thought he may have hurt his foot but it looked normal. and the limp went away and he walks normally now.

a month or so ago, a female dog was seen loitering around our neighbourhood.. and my dog was very eager to sneak out each time. and after a round outside he'd come home with foam in his mouth. could it be behavioral problems?

also, he looked a little pale to me and his snout is just a little swollen. im not really sure if it is but my mom said he looked normal except that he is very thin. and today i counted his heart beat rate which was around 70 bpm. according to a website, small to medium dogs' heart beat rate is 90 to 120 bpm.

please help me as i am worn out of my worries about my dog. thank u sooo so much...

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Without getting too far into your dog's symptoms, firstly, I'd like you to do some research on your own. Please look at the bag(s) of kibble and the cans of wet food you have been feeding your dog and see whether they have been recalled as toxic and potentially fatal.

Secondly, I'd like you to keep your dog under your supervision at all times. If he has something contagious, you should not be letting him roam the neighbourhood.

Thirdly, neutering your dog will improve his "roaming romeo" behavoiur ten-fold and will stop hundreds of litters of unwanted and soon-to-die-or-be-killed pups .

Let us know how you make out with your dog.

max8100
July 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
My Shih Tsu, 4 years old, was fine, but he developed what I presumed was an injury to his leg, holding it up, wouldn't put it on the floor. I took him to the vet and they did xrays, didn't find anything wrong, but did blood work and toxin testing, put him on pain/inflammatory medicine, muscle relaxer, and antibiotics. This was a week ago, and he keeps declining, not getting better.
I took him back because he has quit eating, and they put him on ivs and continued the meds. I took him to the emergency clinic to spend the weekend, and the vet there thought he was on too much pain meds and took him off. He perked up quite a bit and walked a few steps (he hadn't been able to stand up). She suggested he go have a cat scan, spinal tap, etc. , which I had to decline for monetary reasons (Est. Cost: $1000.) I have already paid out $1300 and he's still not much better after a week of treatment.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate at this point.