Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd growth on Lab

LittleMomma
July 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM
This question is on behalf of someone else. They have a 10 year old black lab who, a few years ago, developed a very odd-looking growth smack dab between her eyes (a little above, but directly in the middle). It's bulbous, that's the best way I can describe the thing. Anyway, they've taken her to the vet a number of times, for this specific thing and also for routine exams where the vet has looked at it and every single time the vets tell them it's nothing to worry about and it's not uncommon in older dogs. It's black in color (just like her) and only gets red when their other dog licks it incessantly. Wondering, if there really isn't any harm to it, should they have it removed?

On a side note, they had a carpet cleaner come a few months back who was Vietnamese and he was astonished to see it!... apparently in his culture, such a mark is considered very lucky.... who knew?!

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah, our old lab used to get those, too. I forget what they called them, but our vet also told us that they were benign and okay to leave unless they were in a spot where they were easily irritated. We had a couple removed because they'd get rubbed raw, but the rest were never a problem.

We've had a few on setters, as well, but the lab seemed to be the most prone to them for some reason.

LittleMomma
July 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
that's kinda what we figured, thanks for the input! Do they ever go away (I'm assuming not)?

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Is it like a skin tag or a sebaceous cyst ?

LittleMomma
July 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
too big to be a skin tag, I think... it's about the size of a dime and is very raised from the skin.... and hairless. It's really awful-looking but it never bothers her (although it clearly bothers their other lab b/c she's constantly licking it and turning it red!) Doesn't really feel cystic, either, although who knows, it could be.

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, she must have a heckuva long tongue to be able to get between her eyes ! Sounds like a lick granuloma...

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Wow, she must have a heckuva long tongue to be able to get between her eyes ! Sounds like a lick granuloma...

:laughing: MMM--I think the other dog was licking her! :D :laughing: That would be a long tongue if she could do it herself!

In answer to your question, LittleMomma, some types of 'wens' do go away on their own. Did the vet say anything about a histiocytoma? (Not sure if the spelling is right...but that's how it sounds like it would look to me...if that makes any sense :o) My understanding is that histiocytomas do often resolve by themselves. Other types of warty growths don't, though. And the older the dog is, it seems like the more wens they seem to get. But most of them are just annoyances, and not cancerous.

LittleMomma
July 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
:laughing: yup its the other dog licking it and aggravating it!

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Eh ? Whatzat you say sonny-boy ? :laughing: