Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post-op swelling - normal?

LittleMomma
July 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Our kitty had a lumpectomy (vaccine lump) on Tuesday. She was a tad bit swollen around the incision from the get-go but today it seems like it may be a bit more swollen. She has seven stitches (they will be removed in 10 days) and I am not sure if she has any internal stitches at all. It appears more swollen when she is laying down.

Is mild to moderate swelling common a few days after a surgical procedure? The incision itself is about three inches long and it's just to the left of her lower spine (where the FeLV vacc was given). It's not red or anything and aside from the swelling around it, it appears to be healing well.

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear there is no signs of infection LittleMomma. That's important in and of itself but also in determining whether the swelling is also a problem.

The swelling may show more simply because of the way she is lying or because she is lying around more than normally and fluid/ serum is collecting temporarily around the surgical site. It may also have something to do with the area where the lump was removed and whether lymph nodes were directly affected. Obviously if you see swelling way beyond what you think is normal in all positions ~ off to the Vet wiith Ms. :cat:!! How is she doing otherwise ?

LittleMomma
July 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
She not only had the lumpy area removed (felt like inflammation but still waiting on the biopsy) but he also removed some "abnormal tissue" that looked to him to be fat that had been injured and bled into... so I'm wondering if maybe that removal of tissue is causing the swelling in add'n to the trauma of surgery itself.

She's recovering well it seems, thank you so much for asking!! She startled twice yesterday out of the middle of nowhere and I started getting scared of a reaction to the anesthesia but she seems fine today. I think I worry too much!!

The receptionist told me there is a "delay" getting the results back. I hope that doesn't mean they are bad results! I have no idea why I equate a delay to bad results, but I've been so darn SCARED about it this whole time I think I'm finding gloom in everything!!

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Deep breaths LittleMomma...:o There is no point in worrying yourself sick over what you cannot control.

My experience with Vets (unlike people doctors...:rolleyes: ) is that they give you exactly the kind of information you've been given (abnormal tissue removed but there may be a logical explanation for it, we'll test it just in case).

Her thirst, appetite, bowels & urination, temperature are normal yes ? So , breathe a little girl, before you stress out your cat ! You can try very light massage (place the palm of your hand on her just enough to move the skin and the flesh underneath lightly but firmly) on the surgical site to move the collected fluid around and to send good healing vibes to the area by increasing circulation.

LittleMomma
July 28th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I think that's my problem - I'm in the people healing realm!!! When I hear "abnormal tissue" I automatically think PANIC!!!... I want to know what kind, how is it abnormal, what caused it and what is going to be done about it!! I fear I may have caused it to bleed into itself if that is the case from messing with the original lump so much :yell: So I'm leaving this swelling well enough alone!! She's gotten more active in the last day or two (I guess she's healing up) so maybe her jumping on the couch is causing some more swelling. It's hard to keep a kitty from her couch, you know!!

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Our Cass (:dog:) had a vaccination lump removed plus some of the surrounding tissue because the vet thought it might be a mast cell tumor. She had a good deal of swelling and fluid build-up post-op, mainly because they took so much extra tissue. So my thought is that the swelling is not abnormal at this stage, LittleMomma. :fingerscr But like MMM said, if at any time you think it's not normal, take her back in to the vet and have her looked at. We bug our vets all the time--sometimes it turns out to be a false alarm :o , sometimes not :eek: --but it always gives us peace of mind to know for sure! :thumbs up

As for the delayed results--I think speed often depends on how busy the lab is that the tissue was sent to. We've also had delayed lab reports. We have learned over the years to just try to forget the report is coming and not worry about it. Nothing we can do about it, anyway :shrug:

If it makes you feel better--typically, if the results are bad, we've noticed they come back earlier. Good reports take the back burner and seem to be slower in coming. :fingerscr So maybe no news is good news! :goodvibes:

LittleMomma
July 29th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for that encouragement!! I needed it for sure!! I don't think the swelling is really abnormal, but I will be keeping a keen eye on it. How long should I expect it to stick around for?? They shaved a very large patch of fur (I call it a "window" :cat: ) so it's easy to see whether or not it's red - and it's most definitely not. So I'll just keep on keeping an eye out I guess.

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2007, 12:48 AM
If I remember correctly, it took Cass's swelling more than a week to look better. But it's been a while...might not have been that long. I have no idea what might be normal for cats, though. :sorry: