Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Retriever has lump on snout

brimac
July 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM
My golden has just developed a "lump" on her snout above the gum line on her left side. This is below the eye; diagonally between the eye and her mouth. This just showed up today. I will call the vet office and get her in, hopefully on Monday. She seems to be eating and acting normally except she is a little withdrawn. She has a high threshold for pain so I am concerned that this may be worse than she is letting on. Her mouth seems fine. I don't see a problem with any teeth in that area. If you open her mouth and pull back her lip, there is evidence of a lump above the gumline. Could this be an infected tooth and if it is, what should I do until we get to the vet? Any suggestions?

Frenchy
July 28th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I think you should wait and hear what the vet has to say. Could it be a bug bite ?

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Have you tried light downward massage and using a syringe to flush ?

~michelle~
July 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
how big are the lumps? my dog recently had canine oral papilloma virus (oral warts) they clear up on their own, however a vet visit is a must to make a proper diagnosis

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
It could very well be an infected tooth. Abcesses can appear as lumps in the area you describe.

I hope your vet is able to schedule her in Monday :fingerscr Please keep us posted.

Inverness
July 29th, 2007, 01:19 AM
This might be a salivary mucocele which is a common salivary gland disorder in dogs. It does not always require treatment. One of my dogs has one exactly where you describe the lump on your dog, and we are just monitoring the size to make sure it does not bother him or get infected.

You can read more on this here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23119.htm&word=mucocele

It also exists in humans as described here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucocele

Only your vet will be able to tell you if this is what you are dealing with.

brimac
July 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM
The lump seemed to shrink this morning but has come back this afternoon. She is not happy with me touching her snout in that area. We will call the vet in the AM and have her seen.

~michelle~
July 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM
if its in pain its most likely Not warts. let us know what the vet says.
there are many things that cause bumps in and around the oral cavity! some dangerous some not.

brimac
July 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Our vet said that it was an infected tooth and treatment would either be root canal or extraction. Right now she is on antibiotics for the infection. Any thoughts to the pros and cons of root canal vs. extraction?

Frenchy
July 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM
My Sam had an extraction a couple months ago and did just fine. He just eats a bit slower, wich is good in his case :D

brimac
August 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
We had the tooth removed today. She is still somewhat groggy but otherwise doing fine! Got the bill for $260 as well. :cry: