- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


my sihi tzu isn,t feeling well

July 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
hi i was wondering if anyone can help i have a 10 month old female shih tzu.i was dog sitting my friends husky cross i noticed she started sneezing more then for the past few days she has yellow/green discharge coming out of her nose shes annoyed when i try to help her clean this just a cold like when people get a head cold and blow their nose or is it worst what should i do this seems to be her only symptom.she just seems like shes a little under the weather.

July 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Sounds like an upper respitory infection. Get her to the vet and they'll get her feeling better for you.


Dr Lee
July 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Yellow or green discharge is pus which typically indicates bacterial or viral infection. Antibiotics should be instituted to help not only address any bacteria present but to help prevent pneumonia. A veterinarian exam is definitely in order! :pawprint:

July 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Yup, definitely time to visit the Vet ASAP ~ particularly since your dog is a puppy. With puppies time is abolutely critical as their reserves and ability to fight infection is so much more limited than adult dogs. Let us know how you make out :fingerscr

January 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
hi the last time i was on here my shih tzu had an upper resp. infection i took her to the vet he did nothing i took her again a week later she got some antibotics.the infection got better for awhile she keeps getting the same thing the vet just wants me to bring her in i pay the $60 visit fee and then 30 for medicine he doesnt really check her i tell him the prolbem he gives me the prescription he won,t give me refills he wants me to bring her even though when i get there i just get the prescription and he weighs shes getting the nasal discharge again i,m really frustrated at this process it only comes out of her right nasal passage.i was going to breed her but now due to her problem i,m not sure i want too.

January 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Okay please consult another vet...wouldnt it be worth paying the $60.00 fee to someone that can give you a proper diagnosis!

As for breeding I would like to say this is a pro spay & neuter forum...and in case your not aware of it there are currently 476 Bischon's available for adoption in rescues and shelters just in Ontario, so please dont add to the many unwanted puppies out there! Maybe you could consider adopting a rescue?? I am not trying to be rude but just stating the facts!

Oh! by the way! welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy all the wonderful people here! Do you have any pictures of your pup you can share?


January 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
thanks for the reply i am going to look for another vet.i work all weekend so monday morning i am going to start looking.i was considering breeding her not to sell or contribute to the pet population my parents wanted a puppy i also would keep a puppy, i plan to get her spayed regardless if she has a litter or not.the vet i currently go to says its 480$ to spay her.i have to get these infections under control first.i love my dog i waited a year to get her from the lady i purchased her from ,i consulted with the vet about breeding i haven,t made a decision yet i will consider what you said.

January 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi and hope your tzu gets better soon! My Harley Dude (:rip:)was a tzu and I know have tzu/bichon. I haven't had problems with nasal discharge on any of my doggies,so can't help you. Not sure what it costs for spay,but for my boys their neuter was only a couple hundred. :shrug: Maybe spays are more expensive???

January 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
i don,t think i would ever buy another pure breed dog it seems like u spend the money and then theres problems with the breed i know thats shih tzu have nasal problems snoring sneezing all that fun stuff.i guess i,ll get used to it i,m going to have her for a long next dog will be a cross friend has a shih tzu thats how i was introduced to the breed hers is 2 years old and now has kidney is not really fond of small children older ones r fine.shes really spoiled with cloths and treats and love,thanks for the reply.

January 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Just to let you know, with any dog it is a crap shoot. And with kennel cough, and viral infections they can be spread to any dog. not just purebreds.....
Yes please have her spayed. Just think of how much it would cost you if she needed a c section. Spaying is the more responsible, and cheaper route.
Good luck with your girl, hope you get it under control. And keep her away from other dogs

January 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Please take your little lady to another vet who may do the responsible thing and check her properly.
And I am afraid I am like the others here....... tell your parents to go to a shelter. Spay yours. As Winston said - Bischons. They are a cute little dog too. :) Good luck with your little one.