Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Koi Pics

clm
July 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Some pics of some of the gang while I was sitting outside enjoying the cooler temps of early morning. They had been busy overnight, there was duckweed all over the pond and it's horrible to try to skim off.

Cindy

rainbow
July 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cool fish. :cool: I know they all have names but I don't know how you tell some of them apart. :o

jiorji
July 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
very pretty fish. I love koi they're so colourful

but duckweed's good for ponds isn't it?? it's a natural oxygenator...like those purple floater things and water caggabe.:D

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
They look so...content! (Can a fish look content? :confused: :o ) And they're all so different! Amazing how many patterns they show!

Very pretty :cloud9:

I love watching fish swim...something so relaxing about it...

clm
July 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone. It is relaxing to watch the fish swim and listen to the waterfalls. I've had a pond in the yard for over 20 years now and wouldn't be without one. We just keep making the darn thing bigger :laughing: When the fish are happy and healthy it's wonderful. When you have problems and sick fish it's horrendous:laughing:
You know, there are vet's for koi now. I've never had to try to find one yet, but you'd have to think they make house calls wouldn't you:laughing:

Cindy

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM
CLM,they are beautiful,I suppose you worry about fishy-health as much as any pet..
Do birds try to catch them??

clm
August 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
We've had a heron visit last year, but the pond is build straight sided, not sloping in and it's partially raised, 11 inches above ground on the front and sides....Herons have to be able to wade in, so the heron came, found out he couldn't fish and left. Scared the fish pretty good mind you.
We had kingfishers come in when we had our smaller pond. It had way too many goldfish, they breed like crazy and I ended up with over 100 of them, forever netting them and trying to find homes for them, the kingfishers tried, but lots of hiding places for the fish, they weren't very successful. The koi are too big for them.

Cindy

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
Well,that's good to hear:thumbs up
Friends of ours have a huge manmade pond way out in the country,the Blue Herons and others are always taking the fish..

clm
August 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
A friend of mine in a sub-division in Oakville always has a heron visit her pond too. There are a lot more of them in the city than people think.

Cindy