Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Throwing Up Bile And Eating Grass

Gail C
July 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
whiskey is a 4 year old yellow lab, she has been eating grass not an an usual thing for her to do, but she has been throwing up bile. Any suggestions or homemade remedies. Her activity level is a little sluggish, but she still wants to play and go for a walk. I know she's not feeling 100% because she does not want to eat her food, SO UNLIKE A LAB.

Jim Hall
July 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
the vet and a screening sounds in order
i never liked my lab or boxer to eat grass unless it was from our yard i never used pesticides on it or any kind of poison
You never know what's on the grass

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a vet trip is in order. Eating grass and throwing up isn't abnormal, but you've also noticed a lack of energy and disinterest in food. Any time a dog (especially a lab) is off her feed, it's time to get a screening. Once you find out what's wrong with Whiskey for sure, you'll be able to figure out a treatment. But a vet is the only one who can help you find out what's wrong.

Please keep us posted when you find something out! :fingerscr I hope it's nothing serious!

TeriM
July 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Yep, I agree with the others that a vet check is definately needed. Good luck :goodvibes: .

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
To speed up the diagnostic process a little, bring fecal sample in with you when you visit the Vet.

Gail C
July 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I took Whiskey off her food for 24 hours, and she hasn't thrown up and she slet thru the night. I gave her a small amount of pasta and ground beef for breakfast this morning, so far so good she's keepng it down. She is a litte more energetic this am. As for the grass eating, i do not use and pesticides or even fertilize the backyard just because of the dogs. But i will keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if any of the symptons come back.

One more thing can dogs get heat stroke? Don't know if that was part of the problem or not, but Whiskey loves to lie in the sun. She does have access to shade and water, but she insists on lying in the sun and with it being so hot and humid i try to limit the time she is outside.

Thanks for all your responses and concerns, I will keep you posted on Whiskey's progress. This is a great website

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, dogs can get heat stroke. In fact, many dogs seem to be a poor judge of how long it is wise for them to stay in the sun, so I'm glad you're keeping track and limiting her time outside. :thumbs up

If she isn't back to normal in a few days, I'd still take her in to the vet--the lethargy with appetite loss is disturbing. You didn't mention in your original post that she was throwing up her food (you only mention bile and grass). Has she also been having trouble keeping her food down?

Gail C
July 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Whiskey has found her appetite again, and she is running around the yard again. The only problem i have with her now is trying to keep he out of the sun. I think she wants to become a chocolate lab.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

heyjude11
July 31st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Glad Whiskey is back to normal! Dogs will often eat grass when they have an upset stomach. The grass will in turn cause them to vomit. The fact that Whiskey wasn't eating would be the reason for the bile because he didn't have food in his stomach to vomit up. On the other hand, some dogs just like to eat grass and will not vomit from it.
Still a good idea to have him checked out if he hasn't been to the vet recently.