Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant Cat?????

glenbarco
July 28th, 2007, 05:00 AM
my maine coon was mated on 12th june. she has not had a season since and behaviour has changed to being my shadow!! the vet thought she could feel 3 to 4 kittens at 4 weeks. so considering she should be 6 weeks now she doesn't seem to be showing yet. any comments??

clm
July 28th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Sorry, your vet would be your best source on what's happening with her pregnancy.
I gotta know, if you're not a breeder, why did you breed her instead of spaying her.

Cindy

glenbarco
July 28th, 2007, 09:40 AM
everybody starts somewhere. prefix applied for and very experienced with all animals. vet nursed for years just paranoid when its your own. there's always a 1st to start from.

Frenchy
July 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
everybody starts somewhere. prefix applied for and very experienced with all animals. vet nursed for years just paranoid when its your own. there's always a 1st to start from.

Well then , here is not the place to start then. We are a very pro/neuter forum as many people are into rescues. Your question should be for your vet.

Dracko
July 29th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Poor cat. Maybe she didn't want to be "mated."

glenbarco
July 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
think this site is the most unfriendly, arrogant site i've come across yet. pathetic answers!!!!!! wont be back. will stick to own polite scottish sites with manners.

Dracko
July 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
:thumbs up

I'm assuming you didn't get the answer you were looking for. People on here tend to be honest and don't beat around the bush when it comes to the health/safety of animals.

glenbarco
July 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
1st and foremost is the health of my animals!!! I will not be breeding and breeding if thats what you think. I will be keeping 2 for myself as have just sadly lost 2 old companions who were totally loved!!!! and neutering the 2 I keep. I have other cats and also believe in neutering. But we are allowed to take a litter from our beloved pets if we know we can care and cater for the offspring responsibly as I know I will. As for advice I didn't recieve any. Was just excited at prospect of new life and wanted to share any experiences. She has already had few vet checks so do not insinuate I am irresponsible as you do not know me. I would go without everything as long as my pets got everything they needed.

kiara
July 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Sorry we don't agree with your way of thinking. Please don't be offended by our comments, this site is for animals' welfare only. I have a next door neighbor who did the same thing and I was surprised that an intelligent person like her and a huge cat lover would do this? There are thousands of cats being put down every year because there are just too many of them and no one wants them. My heart breaks when I hear such stories, because I am a volunteer for a cat rescue group.

Dracko
July 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I agree. There are so many unwanted animals out there to choose from already.

mummummum
July 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
think this site is the most unfriendly, arrogant site i've come across yet. pathetic answers!!!!!! wont be back. will stick to own polite scottish sites with manners.

Alright then ! I'm okay with that ! Cheers ! :D

glenbarco
July 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I am all for animal welfare and do a lot of rescue work myself. I totally agree with neutering of all kinds. I think there are too many people breeding for money and too often..that includes breeders too!!! not just private owners. I rescue ferrets, have rescued horses, dogs, cats and reptiles. I am pleased to say where I live it is getting almost impossible to get moggies. That can only be a good thing as neutering is paying off. I hate irresponsible ownership but as I said I will be keeping kittens for myself, and any others are already booked by people I know will give them a fantastic home. surely pedigrees have to breed to keep them going?? There are not too many around in Scotland. As long as they are of good sound quality and health I dont see a problem with the odd litter. My cat may well be spayed as she has very strong seasons which are not fair on her. As I said my animals welfare is of utmost importance to me. Anyway, nobody agrees so we will have to differ on this. I could understand if I bred and bred for money with no homes booked!! I dont. and never would!!

Love4himies
July 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I am sorry to hear how you feel about the regular members on this forum. They are the most caring individuals I have come across and they LOVE animals. I don't know what the situation is like in Scotland (think that is where you are from), but here in Canada the Humane Societies are filled with unwanted cats to the point I cry when I go into one.

I feel if a person wants a kitten/puppy they should go to a Humane Society or if a specific breed is wanted, to a Rescue to get a pet that is already born, not allow their pets to be breed so more pets can be born, leaving the ones in shelters to die.

Kittens and puppies are cute, but they grow up quickly so in my opinion it is not important to get a young pet. Adult pets have their personality already formed so the pet owner can make a better decision on whether that personality type fits into their lifestyle.

I am sure you are very caring, but think of those poor animals that are stuck in cages waiting for a forever home.

Hope you rethink how you feel about them.

glenbarco
July 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM
thankfully here we dont seem to be in as bad a situation as you. It is quite difficult to find rescues now. that's good news. Even with sspca centres there is noticably less animals in needing homes. As for breed rescues there is 1 for each breed if we're lucky and none of them really in scotland. Most in England. And as for thinking more about them I have always had rescues from shelters and never had a pedigree till last year. so I do rescue 1st. But none were available when I lost my rescued burmese x. So I was given the delightful bundles I have now. Who never get to roam and are actually neutered bar 1.

glenbarco
July 30th, 2007, 04:11 AM
I have also NEVER bought a pedigree dog. have always taken rescues. I do find they are more thankful of being loved unconditionally and have taken on severely beaten and starved cases as i rehabilitate. So much satisfaction from that. just wish i hadn't been judged for taking a litter of kittens my family will keep. only wanted to share happy experiences from other animal lovers. Without breeding they will be wiped out. I love animals too much to want that so cant understand why you want this as you are against breeding completely on this site.

badger
July 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Normal gestation is 60-70 days. Maines are big cats, with big coats - unless yours is an exception - so maybe the changes are harder to see.
There's masses of information on the internet. Google 'cat gestation' to find out what to expect at different stages. There are also forums for people who insist on breeding and like talking about it and helping newbies. Those are probably the sites you should be visiting.

mummummum
July 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Glenbarco ~ our local SPCA just had another "free" weekend blitz~ no adoption fees, no spay/neuter fees, no Vet check fees and open til midnight~ why you ask? Because the number of cats per cage has reached well beyond crisis point.

And anyone, anywhere in my city can point to feral cats. I've travelled extensively throughout the UK ~ feral cats are a problem everywhere. Respectfully, I think your dooley is full.

clm
July 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM
People on this site are not against pure bred animals or responsible breeders breeding pure bred animals. Why not just find a maine coon breeder and purchase your kittens from them? Yes good breeders can be hard to find, that doesn't make breeding your own cat to get some kittens a viable alternative. They're the ones who do all the research into which lines and temperments make for great maine coon cats.
People on this site are however not happy with (me included), people who don't know what they're doing breeding their pets. Responsible breeders, show their cats, have championship titles and are doing it for the betterment of the breed.

Cindy