Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vomiting after being neutered

wenrado
July 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
My six month old beagle just got neutered today. We brought him home around 5 pm. We followed our vets instructions about giving little bits of water and little bits of food. He threw up the little bit of food we gave him and everytime he has a little bit of water he throws it up. He has thrown up atleast 10-15 times and it's all clear liquid. Could this be a reaction to the anesthesia or is this getting serious and on the lines of dehydration? I am not sure if we should take him to the emergency room or wait to call the vet in the am. Please help I can't stand seeing my baby feel so sick.

mummummum
July 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I guess I've been out of the game for awhile...are you sure you've got your dates right ? He was under anaesthic, neutered and released the same day ?

Dr Lee
July 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Often times anesthetics, the anxiety/stress of the day can lead to some stomach upset. Common signs are vomiting, diarrhea or constipation. If any of the signs are anything but mild, then yes I would see a veterinarian. If the signs are mild and he is still bright, alert and responsive; you may want to monitor for a while. Did the vomiting 10-15 times occur over a short period of time or is it repetitive over hours?

As far as releasing neuters the same day - all of our spay and neuters go home the same day. We use propofol which is the same induction that our local children's hospital uses - it allows for safe, rapid induction and recovery. The intravenous fluid support during the surgery helps them recover quickly and the use of the carbon dioxide laser seals the nerves, lymphatics and blood vessels allowing for less discomfort/swelling/bleeding. This in addition to the standard protocols and pain medications leaves our patients at an alert behavior similar to when they arrived. Obviously any patients not looking this way are kept overnight, but it is unusual. We get a lot of client referrals due to how well the pets 'bounce' out of our hospital after they got spayed the same day! Our biggest problem is keeping the pet's activity down for the first week post-op!

wenrado

How is your beagle now??

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dr. Lee ~ yeesh, I have been out of the game for awhile ! My grrrls were kept overnight (8 yrs ago) and my last dawg was kept for 3 days per standards at that time.

I'm guessing that frequent vomiting over a short period of time would indicate a response to the anaesthetic and stress and that vomiting repeatedly over several hours/ an entire day would raise the "see your Vet" bells ?

In terms of severity (without getting too graphic) I know with my own dawgs the difference between vomiting to evacuate what's in the stomach and vomiting which turns into uncontrolled retching becomes apparent fairly quickly. I monitor the first but act ASAP upon the second.

wenrado
July 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
My little beagle is like himself today. He had a good night's sleep and ate his breakfast, dinner and rehydrated himself today. He is his usual self, but of course still very sleepy. He is doing very well and thank you for your advice and concern Dr. Lee!! Sampson is on the road to recovery!