Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering Momma & 7 kittens

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I am fostering a momma kitty (Sweat Pea) and 7 of her babies (Rachel, Monica, Pheobe, Chandler, Joey, Ross and Ben) for Gananoque Humane Society. Momma is feeding her babies. Please if anybody can give me any advice or things I should be looking out for please do.

want4rain
July 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
lots of love!! handle the babies once you feel comfortable! keep good fresh water handy at all times, high quality wet food but you knew all of that.... whats that song?? "all you need is love, love... love is all you need!!" :cloud9: kittens!! awww!!

*love* their names.

-ashley

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
The humane society has me with Technical Precision Kitten food for momma, can you recommend something that is better for her. 7 kittens she needs to be in top form to keep all of them going.

Her stomach seems to be bloated, is this normal 5 days after giving birth?

I hand fed her while she was feeding her babies. She was purring away.

She is fostering 2 orphans kittens whose mother passed away when the kittens were 2 days old. Both litters were born on the same day.

She is a very calm gentle kitty.

want4rain
July 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
i dont knwo anythign about the food you feed her now but if its a wet, grain free food then its good. if its not, im sure you could look into the pet food forum on here and find a huge list of foods available in your area that are grain free. i feed Frances (our foster kitty) Wellness Wet Grain free line. feed her as much as she will eat.

the rest of our cats are on a raw diet and id swear by it any day. the difference in our cats is amazing. i dont feed Frances raw because finding a home for her that would continue to feed her raw is unlikely.

love love love!! :) what fortunate kitties. :)

is she bathing them well?? change the bedding at least once a day, id suggest twice honestly. try to launder with vinegar, a cup or two for a front loader or 1-4 cups for a top loading washing machine. if you insist on washing their bedding in bleach then leave it out in the bright sun for an hour or two before putting it in their bed.

also cats have a higher body temp than we do. keep those little fuzzies warm!! but make sure they have somewhere to go to get out of the bedding. she will let you know if things are comfortable.

(really scratching head now)

-ashley

want4rain
July 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Her stomach seems to be bloated, is this normal 5 days after giving birth?

uh... i dont know. my uterus was stiff for a few days after giving birth. :thumbs up

-ashley

Love4himies
July 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks want4rain.

I put a box with fresh bedding and a cover in her room hoping she would move them in there, but she moved the kittens under the bed in the dust cover. I want to move them as I don't think this is a healthy environment for the kittens or mother, too much dust.

Any idea if momma would be upset if I moved the kittens?

clm
July 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM
You might want to try a bigger box with taller sides but an open front, like some of the big lettuce boxes you can get from Costco. Sounds like she wants to keep them sheltered. If she's not happy where you move them, she'll let you know and move them back.

Cindy

chico2
July 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
L4H,I know nothing really of newborn kittens and their care,for now,while the kittens are so tiny,I think I would concentrate on mom,making sure she has tons of nutrition and lots of loving.
You are doing a GREAT thing and I am envious:cat:

NoahGrey
July 28th, 2007, 07:48 AM
You mentioned Momma's stomach is big. Has she been dewormed?

ACO22

Love4himies
July 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
She was given Revolution when she was brought in as a stray a couple of weeks ago. I am to give her more in a month.

I have moved the kittens into a box that we made up for her with her original towels and she is now nursing. The director of the Humane Society asked me not to wash her towels for a bit until she settles into her new room. The box has a large towel over it and the door to give her privacy.

7 kittens seems to be too much for her. I will be weighing the kittens tonight.

krdahmer
July 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I know that when I was hand feeding the kittens I had last year, I used KMR, its a formula (you can get the powder and mix yourself or already mixed in cans- I found the cans much easier), and can be used also for nursing mothers for extra nutrition.

Other than that, make sure momma is happy and healthy and the kittens will have a great chance at being the same! And thanks for taking them all in :angel: :thumbs up !

(And the names are so cute!:lovestruck: )

TeriM
July 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
No advice, just wanted to send thanks and good vibes for looking after this poor mama and babies.

Love4himies
July 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I have started mixing the canned Technical kitten That I got from the Humane Society with Wellness kitten hard food so she can get some better quality food. I was told Wellness does not make a kitten canned. She is eating so much I can't believe it.

She is being an excellent mother and all kittens are gaining weight and getting stronger by the day.

Want4rain: Thanks for the food advice. I bought some for my cats and they love it. Is the food you feed Frances Wet Kitten??

Clm: The box you recommended is perfect. Momma seems to be really happy and has not moved her kittens since.

Frenchy
July 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM
That is too cute Love4himies ! Thank you for fostering ! :thumbs up

Love4himies
July 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I think I have died and gone to heaven with these beautiful kittens. I have 10 cats in my house:eek: but could still have more:laughing: . Wonder what it is going to be like when they start running all over the place. I'll have to put some tiny stop signs and speed limits on my long hallway to avoid collisions:D .

I'll have to do roll call each night when they are put to bed to ensure I haven't missed any.

Frenchy
July 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Enjoy you last nights of sleep :D

Love4himies
July 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Frenchy, perhaps a visit to my doctor to get some cheap drugs is in order:laughing: .

Dracko
July 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
How sweet. Love the names. :laughing:

What a good momma taking responsiblity for the other 2 kittens as well.

Love4himies
July 30th, 2007, 06:19 AM
How sweet. Love the names. :laughing:

What a good momma taking responsiblity for the other 2 kittens as well.

The Humane Society named them not me and I have no idea who is who:D .

sugarcatmom
July 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Oh my, what cuties! Makes me wanna just stick my face in there and shnuzzle some kitten bellies!

I was told Wellness does not make a kitten canned.

They do. It's the little 3oz pink can. High in fat and calories, low carb. It would actually be a better choice than the dry food, the extra water content is probably much needed by momma.

It's gonna be so fun at your house when those guys start running around!

chico2
July 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM
L4H,how sweet,what a good mom she is and you for caring for them:lovestruck:
Seven kittens running around Hmmmmmm:laughing:

want4rain
July 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Want4rain: Thanks for the food advice. I bought some for my cats and they love it. Is the food you feed Frances Wet Kitten??

nope, just more of it. a 6lb kitten gets 2 cans a day. you could see about adding a little raw liver and heart to her diet if you want. just make sure if you feed any raw you do not feed it with cooked things. give it 3 or 4 hours from the last feeding and another 3 or 4 hours until the next feeding.

whats anyones thoughts on feeding eggs with the shell?? or chicken with the skin and ground egg shell??

you could call a local dog breeder and see what they feed their pregnant bitches and nursing mothers. while cats and dogs are different, the idea is the same.

any physical body will take what it can/needs from the available food, if she needs more fat in her diet, nutrients... things like that. making it available is most important. i dont know whats needed for a cat but a human infant (toddler) needs more fat (which is why they suggest whole milk for growing children not skin) for brain development.

that isnt really a single bit of information about cats is it?? :)

-ashley

dmc123
July 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM
7 babies! Thank goodness Tilly only had 4!

Did the mama have more than 7? I wish you luck with all of these!

Diane

Love4himies
August 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM
Momma has 5 of her own babies and is taking care of two orphans whose momma died when the kittens were 2 days old. All kittens were born on the same day. There is a definite personality difference between the orphans the momma's kittens. The orphans do not like to be taken away from momma at all and will continue to howl until they are returned, whereas momma's kittens will meow for only a couple of seconds and can be soothed with gentle petting, cooing and big slobber kisses:D . Wonder if they went through some trauma or seperation anxiety when their momma passed away.

We are trying to socialize all kittens with human contact. I will sit with momma at least once a day while she is nursing, petting her and talking to her softly. I am hoping that if momma shows that human contact is good and soothing, the kittens will adopt that personality also.

Love4himies
August 1st, 2007, 06:51 AM
Here is a link to my web album if anybody is interested in viewing the kittens:

http://picasaweb.google.com/debghislainroy/SweetPeaAndKittens?authkey=WEE9g7zWrNE

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 07:03 AM
Thank's L4H,a great slideshow,I am a little jealous,beautiful little babies and mom..
sigh,I hope they will all find good caring homes:pray:

Love4himies
August 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
sigh,I hope they will all find good caring homes:pray:

Do you think I can convince the Humane Society that any potential adopters must go through second round interviews with me:D .

I have sneakily invited very select families in my small subdivision to visit with the kittens and to let them know these kittens will be up for adoption in a few weeks. Hoping I can keep them until at least 8 weeks, but preferably 10 weeks old. I think it is going to be hard to give back momma, she is such a wonderful cat.

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
I think she wants to stay:lightbulb: :fingerscr

Love4himies
August 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I am so excited. I snuck home on my lunch to bring a co-worker to visit with the kittens and momma. She is an absolute cat lover. Anyway the kittens are starting to PLAY and GROOM themselves. They have their eyes open and they are walking all over inside their box. It is the cutest thing I have ever seen :cloud9: . I am in HEAVEN with these sweetie pies.

Love4himies
August 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
My friend brought her very nice digital camera and took pictures of the babies.

This is what I have to leave each morning to come to work:yell: .

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
The kittens are now 2 1/2 weeks old. I weigh them every second day to ensure they are gaining adequate weight and up to now they have been gaining 24 to 34 grams per 48 hour period, normal is 20 grams.

Last night when I weighed them, they have all slowed down, two only gaining 12 grams and one gaining only 16 grams, the others around the 20 gram mark.

I am picking up some supplements from the Humane Society this afternoon, but can anybody tell me if this is normal? Should I be looking for a slow down in milk production in Momma? If so, what are the signs? Can Momma just be getting too tired to nurse 7 kittens? Is there anything I can do in addition to supplementing?

badger
August 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Since they are already ahead of the curve, I wouldn't worry too much. If I remember rightly, the first milk is the richest to give them a good start. Is she displaying any behaviour which would indicate she is fed up (longer breaks away from them would be normal, as they get older)? Seems to me that any litter would have a range of weights, especially one this big.
More pictures please :pray:

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks Badger for the reassurance because I thought I was going to panic last night when I weighed them. They are the sweetest things ever.

I have a Picasa web album that I update regularly. Let me know if the link doesn't work:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/debghislainroy/SweetPeaAndKittens?authkey=WEE9g7zWrNE

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I get kitten withdrawals at about noon each day when I am at work and can't be with them:sad: .

badger
August 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
They are all sooo sweet and Sweet Pea is gorgeous too; is she as big as she looks? Which might explain 7 kittens.
I can see you are already having fun. Plenty more to come!

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM
They are all sooo sweet and Sweet Pea is gorgeous too; is she as big as she looks? Which might explain 7 kittens.
I can see you are already having fun. Plenty more to come!

Sweet Pea is a tiny thing weighing probably no more than 8 lbs.

badger
August 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Wow, she looks bigger, very pretty colouring. Looks like she's loving her new home.

chico2
August 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM
L4H,I had a huge grin on my face looking at these babies,they are sooo beautiful as is Sweetpea,it always makes think of the ones out there,not so lucky as yours are.
What will happen to Sweetpea after the babies are gone...are you keeping her:pray:

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM
What will happen to Sweetpea after the babies are gone...are you keeping her:pray:

Oh chico2 it is going to be really hard to give her up, harder to give her up than the kittens. We are considering keeping her but there are two conditions:

1. She must be able to get along with my two cats. One won't be a problem, but the female rules the house and doesn't like other cats in her territory.

2. She is used to being free outside (she was found as a pregnant stray) and she must be accepting of a harness and leash as my cats are 100% supervised outside.