Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mysterious death of my boxer dog

diane1971
July 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
My dog was weak on Tuesday and was not acting well at all. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and her throat was a little red and was placed on an antibiotic, also said some dogs act different if they don't get pregnant in the heat. On Friday still not doing well took her back to the vet, ran a heartworm test, and a pregnancy test as she just came out of her first heat, both were negative. Her lymph nodes under her neck were swollen, and gums were a little pale. The vet placed her on another ABT (stronger). Saturday had a weird look out of her eyes, hard for her to stand and her breathing was more rapid. Appetite has been good and has been drinking fluids. Took her back to the vet Saturday, gums very pale, started on IV fluids, and vet said she was going to start her on Vit K shot. Received call early Sunday to let me know that there had been no change but she has more pink to her gums. Sunday afternoon I had a call saying she had passed. Requested an autopsy to be done, spleen, heart , and liver all looked good. Her stomach had blood in it, had not had a bowel movement that I can recall since, Tuesday. Did have some blood dripping from her nose on Sunday ONLY. Autopsy done 20 hours from her death and NONE of her blood was clotted, all liquid. My question is if she injested rat poison , which we do not have in the house, some sick person might of gave her, wouldn’t she of died sooner? As Monday is when she started not feeling well and on Sunday she passed. Tissues samples were sent for toxology reports. Also they were wondering if she had a bleeding disorder. She never had any signs of bleeding and she was 15months. Any thoughts????????

MaO3
July 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't have any ideas but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.

JanM
July 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I have no answer either but I am truly sorry for your loss.

mummummum
July 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, I think that your Vet should be able to provide you with a written copy of the necropsy results which will give you all the medical information readily available.

Dr Lee
July 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately necropsies (autopsies on pets) do not always show the final answer. The lack of blood clotting is concerning.

Some information on the common rat poisons. Most of the work by stopping the pet's ability to clot their blood. During the day, every mammal's body normally has tiny little bleeding episodes which spontaneously resolve without our knowing. When the body cannot clot its blood, these tiny bleeding episodes become a life threatening situation. So in other words, pets with the anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning will feel fairly normal and will life for a varying amount of time until some bleeding episode occurs which leads to an unacceptable amount of blood loss. Usually there is no outward signs of bleeding.

I don't know if rodenticide poisoning was the cause or not; however it may be comforting to know that it is considered a painLESS death. So if it was rodenticide, she was likely feeling no pain.

There are also many causes of coagulopathies (inability to clot). There is an autoimmune disease of the platelets which can occur spontaneously without forwarning. DIC (disseminated intervascular coagulation - sorry there is no other common term) is a side effect of many hyperinflammatory states which in some cases could be triggered by a massive bacterial infection. These are a couple of possibilities.

Again, I am truly sorry for your loss.

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, Diane. :grouphug: You're in our thoughts and prayers.

sways_bodyguard
July 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
:sorry:
R.I.P. to your baby...