Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!!! Crate Training problems!!!

AngieM291
July 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hello, I am the proud puppy parent of a 3 month old male shih tzu and he is a great puppy, all except for one thing...he barks uncontrolablely when left alone-especially in his crate. He barks and wines, and also pees and poos in his crate. I know that the crate is the correct size and I give him a chew toy that he can play with when he is in there. Also, he does this when only left for a few minutes...I have tried a bak collar (non-shocking) and he just ignores it! I am at a wits end-I am moving into a apartment complex in a month and can not have a dog that yelps and barks for hours when left alone, I have to work so I can afford him!!! LOL...any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

crazydays
July 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Hi- I have a 4month pup.

Need more information from you about how you are using the crate.
When does he get put in?
Where is it?
When is he quiet in the crate?
Does he sleep there? Does he cry at night?
How is the housetraining routine going? Describe what you do.
Do you spend time with the pup playing? Does the pup go for walks of other form of good running exercise?

AngieM291
July 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM
He is put in his crate when I go to work, normally either 11-5, or 5-11. I know that this is a long time, but he "holds it" all night when he sleeps in bed with me (sometimes up to ten hours!)
It is in my bedroom, due tothe fact that I have room mates.
The only time he is quiet in the crate is when I am in the room with him, and the crate door is open.
He sleeps in bed with me, and we have had no problems, he sleeps all night with no accidents!
Housetraining other than when he is in the crate is going AWESOME!!! He has a few accidents, which I expect because he is a puppy, but I could not tell you the last time he did a number two in the house (other than in the crate.)
I try to take him for walks at least three times a week. I play with him all the time and he allready knows: sit, paw, other paw, sit pretty, lay down and we are working on stay!

I know that I am leavin him for a decent time during the day while I am at work, but I have no other choice, I would much rather come home to a stinky puppy than a hurt or dead puppy because he got into something he shouldn't have or chewed on some wires!!! I have had other puppies in my life and crate trained them and never had this problem. He crys instantly when I leave him, within seconds. Yesterday I was practiceing with him and took him out to potty, which he did, then put him in the crate and left the room, weaited till he settled down for 3 seconds and then entered the room again and he had allready went potty in the crate. Also, I leave him in my room alone when I shower and he will piddle on the carpet when left alone with the run of my room, as well as cry uncontrolablely!!! I'm really despert and could use any advice you could give! Thanks!

crazydays
July 29th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hi Angie

When I read your email a few things came to mind. I am thinking that your dog is either lonely or bored and that he has a little separation anxiety. He may be very uncomfortable in the crate in your bedroom. I know he is there from 11-5pm when you are out of house. Is he in the crate alot during the day? When you are home does he get to see you alot? He might get upset not seeing you when your at home. I think too that he needs more exercise- everyday. I would suggest before you leave for periods of time take him out for a good period of exercise to settle him--vital. it sounds like the training is otherwise great. The pup has separation anxiety. If you haven't already ,check out canine separation anxiety sites. There are many articles on this with causes and suggestions.
I have no experience to offer you.

http://www.dogdoright.com/canine-separation-anxiety.htm

EllyMayandRob
October 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
My 12 week old great dane pup is pretty good about going out already, but I have just purchased a wire crate for her to complete her training. She goes in it fine, but as soon as I leave the room, she startes barking (very loudly) and does not stop. Any suggestions?

sugarcatmom
October 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi EllyMayandRob, welcome to pets.ca.

She goes in it fine, but as soon as I leave the room, she startes barking (very loudly) and does not stop. Any suggestions?

Do you leave her with a chew toy to give her something to do while in the crate?

When she barks, do you let her out? If so, you could be reinforcing the behaviour. Ideally, you want her to associate the crate with good things so that she actually likes to be in there, which is where treat-filled chew toys come in handy. Here are some links you might find usefull:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-chewtoy-training
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/home-alone
http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/crate_training_basics.pdf

One last thing: we love puppy pics around here (well, all pics actually, but oh my, a Great Dane puppy!:cloud9:) so if you got any, cough 'em up!:D

tenderfoot
October 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
He is put in his crate when I go to work, normally either 11-5, or 5-11. I know that this is a long time, but he "holds it" all night when he sleeps in bed with me (sometimes up to ten hours!)

Night and day are 2 entirely different things to a dog. He is meant to romp and play all day with some serious naps inbetween (can you take him to daycare when you are at work?). He is not ready for 6 hour stints in a crate. He has been set up for failure. He has to learn how to hold his pee/poo for shorter periods of time before he can have a prayer of success for 6 hours. Many trainers say a pup should be able to go as many hours as he is months old. i.e. 3 months = 3 hours. Some even add an hour. We actually subtract an hour, so he would be good for 2 hours. Think about it...when he sleeps hard (puppy coma time) he has to pee immediately when he wakes. So if he sleeps hard for 45 minutes then thats the time he can handle right now until he learns to hold it. This is a process he has to go through and you need to help him.

The only time he is quiet in the crate is when I am in the room with him, and the crate door is open. He sleeps in bed with me, and we have had no problems, he sleeps all night with no accidents!

Dogs sleep very soundly with another body next to them - they relax against a warm body and beating heart. They sleep more deeply and for longer stretches.

Go to our web site and read up on the crate training article. It will take you through the steps to teach him to be good n the crate - it will take about 3 days , but even then he is not ready for such long stretches of time.

I try to take him for walks at least three times a week. I play with him all the time and he allready knows: sit, paw, other paw, sit pretty, lay down and we are working on stay!

Sounds like you are dong a great job overall - Keep the walks to 15 minutes at a time. Read our 'Exercise' article on or web site aswell to understand how important limited 'forced' exercise is to young pups.

I know that I am leavin him for a decent time during the day while I am at work, but I have no other choice, I would much rather come home to a stinky puppy than a hurt or dead puppy because he got into something he shouldn't have or chewed on some wires!!!

It would be better in this case to set up a gated area (bathroom or kitchen) where he can move about, and soil on papers and get away from his mess. That would be preferable to leaving him in a crate for so long a teaching him to mess himself.

He is a different dog than the others that you trained. Also you are in a different stage of your life than you were when you raised the other pups. You have roommates and restrictions on your life.

Unfortunately we are setting him up for seperation anxiety. He needs you to take the time and patience to teach him how to be alone, how to only soil outside and to trust that you will return. Right now he freaks out and his body is stressed so he soils. He no longer cares about soiling his den (crate) and that is not normal for a dog. You need to take a breath and start over. Short periods of time in the crate, do not reward him for crying by letting him out, you can't even look at him when he cries. In fact if he is really bad about it you might have to correct him for his complaints. You are trying to teach him that crying doesn't work - he is currently doing it because he has learned that it does work. Dogs do what works and then they do it more. So anything your dog does that bothers you has actually been created by you somehow. So you need to re-evaluate what you have been doing. Even looking at him when he cries is a reward and teaches him crying works.

Last thought - are your roommates up for helping? It would be great if they could be involved. Even if you paid them to walk him or let him out so many times and day and play with him. He needs more stimluation mentally and physically.

MrMagoo
January 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hi, i have a little mini dachshund who is 4 months old. I have had him for one month and have been crate training him. I am not working for the moment, so i have the time to spend with him during the day and he goes out for potty breaks every 3 hours. He goes for short walks once a day and we play with him during the day aswell. He is usually only in his crate if someone isnt around to watch him and this is usually not more than an hour or two during the day. He is crated overnight and this is usually from 11 - 8. Most nights he can go all night without relieving himself in his crate, but i find that sometimes he poops in there during the night. I was just wondering if this is because he is still young and cant always hold it consistently... or if it is something that can be helped? Any advice is appreciated... thanks.

the gang
January 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
he is a pup and it takes time, what time do you feed him supper?? i have a pin that is just 3 and sometimes she still poops on the paper, what we do for our dogs, good luck brenda and the pins

MrMagoo
January 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
His last meal is mid to late afternoon... i was just wondering if there was something i could do to help him realise going in his crate is not good behaviour. I realise you cant scold them unless you catch them doing it, otherwise they dont know what they have done wrong. I guess it is just puppy behaviour, just wanted to make sure i was doing all the right things to help housebreak him. Cheers :)