Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Himalayan with strange Discharge

holmern
July 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Hi

Recently got a second himalayan and it seems like he has a problem. He uses the litterbox like normal, but he seems to hide under the bed sometimes and it looks like he is going to the bathroom, but all that comes out is a few drops of an orange liquid. Anyone have a clue of what this can be?

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Hi, congradulations on you new Himalayan. I don't have any idea what this could be, but I do know it is not normal. He definitely needs to see a vet for a check up.

Please keep us posted.

badger
July 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Sounds like blood to me. Have you actually watched his litterbox behaviour? Does he go constantly but only manages a few drops or nothing? Even if all seems OK, I take him to the vet.

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds an awful lot like a UTI (urinary tract infection)...the orange-tinged liquid is likely blood in the urine. The straining is a sign that the passageway is blocked partially. This is painful and needs to be addressed asap... expect to have the vet perform a urinalysis, and to go home with antibiotics that you'll need to give for a few weeks. There is the possibility that they may also want to send a urine sample out to a lab for culture (to be certain that they are using the right antibiotics for the type of bacteria) and/or perform an xray to rule out bladder stones or crystals. (I've been through this more times than I'd like, lol:laughing: )

Bottom line: you need to go to the vet today. Good luck!

holmern
July 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Went to the vet on friday. Cat has been on antibiotics for 2 days now and seem to be doing alot better. He isnt leaving any spots around the floor anymore and is not crying at all. (which he used to do earlier)

Hopefully that was the problem.. will keep giving him antibiotics for a while. Hopefully the problem wont come back.

badger
July 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Don't be tempted to take him off the drugs now that things are better :) . He needs to take the whole prescription, even if he is totally back to normal.
Glad everything worked out:thumbs up

holmern
July 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Easier said than done. Having a really hard time making the cat swallow the pills. Pretty much tried it all.. forcing them down his throat.. he spits them up after 2 minutes or they dissolve in his mouth and he drools it all away.

Tried putting in a piece of meat.. he sniffs at the piece and walks away.

Tried grinding it up and put in the food.. sniffs at the food and walks away.

Any other suggestions? Any food with strong enough aroma to cover the scent of a powdered pill?

krdahmer
July 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
There are treats you can buy that have a 'pocket' to hide the pill in. :shrug:

badger
July 30th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The vet can sell you a plastic plunger for pilling cats. You put the pill in a little cranny at the tip, insert as far back in the cat's mouth as it will go, hit the plunger to deposit the pill, and as you withdraw, gently hold his mouth closed. At that point the gag reflex will take over (stroke his throat to help it along). It takes about two seconds. You want to get it past the taste buds on his tongue, some medication just tastes nasty. Try coming up behind the cat for that precious element of surprise and tip his head back, using the fingers of that hand to open his mouth.
You can also do this without the plunger, just have to be FAST. Then a big cuddle and high praise.

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've got one of those pillers too, and it's a life-saver! You can get the pill waaaay back in the mouth so he has no choice but to swallow. It's REALLY important to get all the meds into him. If you've been having trouble, I'd tell the vet so they can give you more. I know it's hard and no fun for you or kitty, but speaking as someone who's dealt with cat UTI's, there's no easier way to make it come back quick than stopping/cutting short the antibiotics!!!

Good luck!

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
You can also do this without the plunger, just have to be FAST. Then a big cuddle and high praise.

Tell me about it! I had no idea there was a plunger for that... I might invest in one next time I have to pill. I can get the pills in by holding the mouth open and dropping them almost directly down their throats, but not without sustaining a few scratches or the occasional bite!!

sugarcatmom
July 31st, 2007, 11:40 AM
It's very important when you're pilling a cat to follow the pill with a chaser of water, like from a needle-less syringe, or at least get the cat to eat something. Otherwise you run the risk of Erosive Esophagitis. Please read this website for some more info: http://catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm

krdahmer
July 31st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that info sugarcatmom, I had no idea and have never heard of that before.:thumbs up Although I was already doing this for Fagan when he had pills I would chase it down with his holistic/water mix syringe, good thing I guess.

dtbmnec
July 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM
Oh yes the piller has in fact saved me many a scratch/bite.

I wasn't ever told to chase it with water/food though, but I figured that it was the least I could do since I don't even like taking pills. LOL.

They also tend to get spoiled by treats on TOP of the water :p

Lucky little boys.

Megan

holmern
July 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Got a hold of some pill pockets.. Worked like a charm!! Can finally make the cat eat the whole pill without dissolving it and spitting it out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.