Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Dane vomiting foam

Dogman6
July 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I went out of town a week ago, (Friday) and left my Great Dane at a kennel she'd been in before. They called me on Tuesady saying she was vomiting thick, sticky foam and was taking her to my vet. The vet said it wasn't bloat but seemed to be an infection because a CBC showed elevated white cell count. She was given an antibiotic injection, a Cimetidine injection, and Tagamet and SMZ/TMP to take home.

When I picked her up this morning (Thursday) she bounced out to meet me very energetically. After I got her home I gave her some fresh water which she went right for. I noticed a gurgling-type sound in her throat when she drank which I've never heard before. She then threw up the same thick, sticky foam fo close to an hour. After that she seemed to be ok except she turned her nose up at any kind of food. This evening, after giving her some ice cubes to lick instead of water, she did eat a little bit for me and when I took her out for the last time she seemed to almost be her old self, right up to prancing down through the parking lot.

When we came back inside, I decided to try giving her some water. Same sound in her throat when she was drinking and a minute later she was bring up the foam again, although this time all the water seemed to be with it.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning but does anyone have any insight into this? ANy similar experiences? Or has anyone used SMZ/TMP, which is a sulfa based drug if I've read right, and have the same kind of reaction?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SEVIIN
July 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi dogman. I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I tried to look up this online but couldn't really find anything of use except people asking the same question. But I do know that some cases of the 'recalled' pet food did have some dogs throwing up white foam. I know you are bringing your dog to the vet in the morning. But I really HIGHLY suggest you at least call and emergency vet tonight and ask them what they think and what it could be related to. Tell them what kind of food you are feeding or have fed (treats, everything) and check the dates on your food, could have been earlier food though that might have already been taken off the shelves. I hope you find your answers, my thoughts are with you two :pray:

Frenchy
July 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Tell them what kind of food you are feeding or have fed (treats, everything) and check the dates on your food,

And the food the kennel was feeding her too. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM
It's odd that this should happen only after drinking, and that she seems to have problems swallowing the liquid. I personally would be more concerned about her throat/oesophagus...it sounds like you are noting quite carefully when these episodes start...keep a log of the times and her activities prior to the vomitting, it may be helpful for the diagnosis.

Dogman6
July 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I've fed her Eagle Pack ever since I got her and she's always done well. In fact, she got her shot for kennel cough last month and the vet said whatever I was doing, keep doing it because she was in great shape for being 7.

She's managed to keep a little food down today, when I found something she actually wanted to eat, and I only give her a little water at a time. She brought a little bit up at first but nothing for the past few attempts so we seem to be making progress. Her throat has to be sore ,also, from all the vomiting. And she seems "normal" in every other way, even trots when I take her out to the bathroom. Also she doesn't seem to have a fever anymore.

Anyway, I'm hoping she's turning the corner here and will be back to her old self soon.

Dogman6
July 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM
OK, here's a new twist. I have her water and feed bowls on an elevated stand which is suggested for large breed dogs. I put her water on the floor last night to see if that made a difference. It did seem to stop the gurgling when she drinks and she started eating a little bit as I said before. I just tried putting the water bowl back on the stand and when she started drinking the gurgling started again and she went out on the patio and brought up the white foam again. This is really getting puzzling. Otherwise she seems to be getting back to normal. My vet will be out of his office until Monday so when he comes back I think I might ask for a chest and throat x-ray.

Frenchy
July 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
OK, here's a new twist. I have her water and feed bowls on an elevated stand which is suggested for large breed dogs.

Not anymore, they say it causes bloat now. Franctly, they keep changing their minds over this so I can't tell you what's right or not. I'm fostering a Great Dane and her bowls are on the floor. But I can tell you if she keeps throwing up , you can't wait until next week, you should get her checked asap. Just my opinion.