Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stray dog crisis

griffey13
July 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I am in BC, Canada and my husband is currently in Norway House, MB for a 3 month job contract. He was shocked to discover the horrific conditions many stray dogs are living there. Most are starving to death, fighting for food and injured. Sickly puppies are everywhere and in 40 degree weather, are lifeless and starving to death. Yesterday, he rescued a puppy he found under a bench but here are many of them and once rescued, does not know what to do with them. All of this out in the open, in front of people seemingly to care less. He has been feeding the ones he comes in contact with daily and supplying fresh water for them but other than that, he is at a loss on what to do to help. There is no animal control or shelter services there. The closest major town is Thompson who unfortunately does not have a shelter either. I have contacted the SPCA in Brandon but have not yet received a reply. The police shoot these poor animals in the winter as a means to control the stray population. A major concern is this August, they have an annual festival and it has been discussed that they will be shooting these poor animals beforehand for "human health" reasons. I am absolutely sickened and saddened by this and at a loss on what to do to help. Obviously education and assistance on spaying and neutering is needed as well as basic humane education. Unfortunately, he has found there to be no vets in town. This goes on year after year and there must be something that can be done. I am appalled that this kind of treatment is legal and can be happening anywhere in Canada. Any suggestions you can offer me on how I can help or if you know of anyone there trying to help these poor animals. He does not want to leave there without first being able to do something to help them. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

susieqt
July 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
This is totally unacceptable in a country like Canada! Try to phone the Humane Society of Canada, hopefully they will have a solution to this horrible problem.

rainbow
July 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I believe Norway House is reservation land occupied by the Cree First Nations so these dogs would be under their jurisdiction. :shrug: I would contact the Humane Society too as well as the SPCA and any other animal welfare organization. Perhaps a sympathetic reporter from a newspaper would do a story to bring attention to this deplorable situation. :fingerscr

badger
July 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I couldn't read to the end of this post. I don't imagine the SPCA has any jurisdiction on reserves and would probably be run off if they made any move to intervene. Where my mother lives in BC, she is surrounded by reserves and the way they treat their dogs is disgusting. They let them breed unchecked, tie them up for hours on end in the blazing sun, and I suspect don't even feed them regularly. Of course, I am a racist for saying this. So be it.

pitgrrl
July 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Here's the thing that I think needs to be considered before we start falling into the trap of "those people" do this or that, what are the conditions for the people living there?

By asking this I'm not suggesting that human life is inherently more valuable, but the reality is that most people, if not allowed access to the resources necessary to care for themselves and their human families properly, will not be able to care for animals.

When we start asking things like "how can this be allowed to happen to dogs in Canada" we also need to ask "how can many of the living conditions seen on many reservations be allowed to happen in Canada?"

Anyway, my long winded point is this, efforts to help these dogs would likely be more effective if a holier than thou, accusatory angle didn't dominate, and rather help was extended in the spirit of helping a community which can't help itself in that respect.

Maybe some catch-speuter-release efforts could be mounted? Networking done within the rescue community in that area (if there is one)? I'm sure there are other good ideas of things that could help the situation.

mummummum
July 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Reserves and who is responsible for the monetary and living conditions of Native Canadians who live there is a political powder keg and doesn't speak to Griffey's concerns which are limited to the animals.

Anyway, my long winded point is this, efforts to help these dogs would likely be more effective if a holier than thou, accusatory angle didn't dominate, and rather help was extended in the spirit of helping a community which can't help itself in that respect.

I hope you don't mean to suggest this attitude is underlying in Griffey's post Pitgrrl ?

griffey13
July 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Oh no, I did not expect this to go like this and want to clarify if you read my post again race is a non issue.

There is a actually a mix of people there, about 60% First Nations, and it as ALL of the people regardless of race that are not doing anything for these dogs.

I am waiting to hear back from the Winnipeg Humane Society and hopefully they will be able to help. :fingerscr

Frenchy
July 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM
There is a similar situation going on in Quebec too. Up North , there's a Cree village , every winter they round up the stray dogs and shoot them to control the pet population. BUT , for the past years, some volunteers drive all the way up there and take back the dogs for rescues here. I was suppose to get one of these dogs 2 years ago, a golden. But the dog was reclaimed by it's owner. They tought he was a stray. Now that I think about it , I did not hear about those rescues last winter.

Anyway, maybe they can organize something like it ?

pitgrrl
July 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I hope you don't mean to suggest this attitude is underlying in Griffey's post Pitgrrl ?

Not at all, I think Griffey's desire to do something about the problem at hand is awsome, and hopefully the cross section of people here will allow for some brainstorming on what might work.

My comments were in reference to the turn towards generalizations and blame that the thread seemed to be in danger of taking, which I think would be unfortunate.

Since my last post seems to have been misinterpreted, perhaps because of my lack of clarity and directness, it is this that I find inappropriate and not really conducive to helpful action, however well meaning the sentiment may be:

I don't imagine the SPCA has any jurisdiction on reserves and would probably be run off if they made any move to intervene. Where my mother lives in BC, she is surrounded by reserves and the way they treat their dogs is disgusting. They let them breed unchecked, tie them up for hours on end in the blazing sun, and I suspect don't even feed them regularly.

krdahmer
July 27th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Here's the thing that I think needs to be considered before we start falling into the trap of "those people" do this or that, what are the conditions for the people living there?

By asking this I'm not suggesting that human life is inherently more valuable, but the reality is that most people, if not allowed access to the resources necessary to care for themselves and their human families properly, will not be able to care for animals.

When we start asking things like "how can this be allowed to happen to dogs in Canada" we also need to ask "how can many of the living conditions seen on many reservations be allowed to happen in Canada?"

Maybe some catch-speuter-release efforts could be mounted? Networking done within the rescue community in that area (if there is one)? I'm sure there are other good ideas of things that could help the situation.

I am a strong believer that people (regardless of location/race/whatever) who are unable to find or provide proper care for themselves should not even have pets. Where do these people get these animals? They have to have come from somewhere...

And I really think the reporter idea is great, the more exposed the situation is, the more organizations and individuals will want to help (and in the case of the larger organizations like say the government responsible for their livlihood they will be more obligated to do something about it). When things are out for everyone to see, more action is taken.

griffey13
July 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Great News! The WSPA has a Northern Dog program for all Provinces and actively involved in helping these dogs!

If anyone is near this problem or knows of anywhere similar this problem is happening in, they need to know about it. They do also need community support for the program for it to work and he is working on finding others wanting to get involved.

Anyone interested, they could really use financial support. They work in partnership with the closest humane organizations and funding is always an issue:

http://www.wspa.ca/campaigns.asp?campaignType=7&cnewsID=68

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Good detective work Griffey ! Let's hope these neglected dogs get the help and love they deserve :highfive:

krdahmer
July 28th, 2007, 03:17 PM
These pups are all in my :pray: ers. (and the cats I'm sure are there, just less visible...:sad: ) Thanks for that link, I added it to my faves and will donate as soon as I can. :goodvibes:

~michelle~
July 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
great work good luck to all those little souls!

griffey13
July 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Yes! cats will be helped too :love: I have 3 so am as concerned about them as the dogs (and of course every other animal in distress) The good news is that there are not many, if any cats where he is right now. No one he has met so far has a cat and he hasn't found any stray cats at all yet :fingerscr

Frenchy
July 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Great news griffey13 :highfive:

NoahGrey
July 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think they should be educated on the responibilty of pet ownership, spaying and nuetering/vaccinations.

Shooting them is not putting an end to this problem. It is just an easy soultion for the time being. :frown:

ACO22

badger
July 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
This is a fantastic start. I hope some idealistic young vets will agree to go up and live in some of these communities for a few months and help people to provide proper care for these poor animals. It is heartbreaking that they have to suffer for no good reason.
Thanks Griffey, for that rare bit of good news.

Frenchy
July 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I think they should be educated on the responibilty of pet ownership, spaying and nuetering/vaccinations.

Shooting them is not putting an end to this problem. It is just an easy soultion for the time being. :frown:

ACO22

I don't think you understand the situation. Many of these villages don't have a vet , don't have access to a vet. They are up north, like way up north.

griffey13
July 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
My understanding of what will happen is if they have a community's support, a group of volunteers will travel to these remote areas where they have no vets or animal shelters/welfare services. These wonderful and amazing volunteers will spay and neuter, vaccinate, offer humane education and bring back adoptable animals to the closest communities with shelters and adoption services. The sickly ones will be humanely euthanized. I am not sure how often they will travel to these areas. I guess it will depend on the permanent residents in these areas to keep them informed and work to change the situations which is why they need to ensure that the community is behind this program for follow up.

In BC where I am, I found out from the SPCA that we have this program operating from Prince George for the Northern BC areas. The RCMP detachments also help with animal control/welfare. I am sure other Provinces have similar programs so if anyone here is from any other Province and knows of any communities in their area in need, please post here and we can try and get help for them all.

It really is amazing that the WSPA is doing :angel: They are having a conference in November that will offer education and assistance to any community with this situation and are working really hard for change. They have answered all of my replies quickly and caringly and are actively working to solve this and SO many other animal cruelty problems.

rainbow
July 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Griffey13, kudos to you for everything you did. :highfive:

I hope your efforts will help out this poor community. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

kiara
July 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with PITGRRL that these people cannot cope with their own lives and how could you expect them to be able to look after their animals? Maybe the minister of Indian affairs should be contacted? Everyone talks and no one does anything! Then how do you justify animal dumping and cruely in rich neighborhoods? People who are well off don't care either. You should come to Quebec and see the animal misery here. And these people get away with it, because there are no laws here to protect animals!!! In the U.S. they would get arrested. There are so many cat colonies everywhere, also many dumped cats, who used to be someone's pet. How are they supposed to survive? They freeze to death in the winter. Dogs have it a bit easier because there are fewer of them and they get adopted quickly.

mummummum
July 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I agree with PITGRRL that these people cannot cope with their own lives and how could you expect them to be able to look after their animals?

Just to be clear ~ this is not what pitgrrrl is saying at all. Pitgrrrl is simply asking that we not make generalizations about an entire people or a community ~ which is a wise and fair thing to ask.

Maybe the minister of Indian affairs should be contacted? Everyone talks and no one does anything!

Why ask the government to take care of a problem which people caused and people can fix on a community-by-community basis? This is exactly what Griffey is telling us the wspca (sp?) is doing ~ so if you have a couple of bucks for cats and dogs, donate !

TMac
July 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Griffey13

Glad to hear you've found some good news here. I just started reading this thread so I'm jumping in late, but I was going to recommend following up with the SPCA or humane society and I'm glad you did! I know our local humane society has a northern dog program as well, so not surprised to hear there is one there too. Great!:highfive: