Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microchipping--how much is it going to cost?

joeysmama
July 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I want to have Cooper microchipped and I was wondering if anyone could give me a guideline of how much it's going to cost. It just occurred to me that I can call the vet and ask him directly. LOL

But I was curious about how many of you have alll your pets microchipped and if you have any strong opinions about it. I think I'd feel better if he were--just in case he went missing somehow. But it's been kind of hard to bring myself to put him through it. Do you think they can feel it once it's in? Can it be a health hazard?

Lukka'sma
July 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Lukka was done at about three months and the tech said she never blinked an eye during the process. I don't actually remember the sole price of micro-chipping because she was also there to be weighed for her heart worm and I picked up her flea treatments as well, I think the chipping may have been under $50.

mummummum
July 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
All of mine are chipped. I think my vet charges 65 or 75 bucks. I feel pretty strongly about it as I see it as a "fail-safe" but I do recall another member indicated that the scanners aren't "universal" across NA meaning they read some chips but not others ~ which is worrisome.

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Our local humane society just had a chipping clinic, I think the fee was 25$, which is really good. I think around 75$ is typical.

joeysmama
July 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
There's no anesthesia involved ???? Is it a local? And they really aren't bothered once it's in there? Can you feel it?

I get all anxious when he has a shot and lets out his little cry. I'm a trouper when I have to go to the doctor or dentist. But I'm a huge baby when Cooper has to go.:o

Frenchy
July 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
There's no anesthesia involved ???? Is it a local? And they really aren't bothered once it's in there? Can you feel it?

They did it to Daisy in front of me , she didn't feel a thing and it takes about 2 seconds. I was horrified , like when I see any of my dogs getting their shots , but I'm a wuss. Really , Daisy never felt anything.

Rottielover
July 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Harley also had it done, cost 75$, never even blinked.
I always go and verify, to make sure the chip is still readable when he is at the vets.

ancientgirl
July 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I'm having mine done hopefully next month, when I have some breathing room cashwise. I think my vet charges around $80 for it and they register them there. But I didn't ask if there's a monthly service charge or anything. Not to mention I have also read that some readers aren't universal. I need to make sure which ever chip they get is the most commonly used one, because why have something like that inside of them if its not going to be able to be read when you need it!

joeysmama
July 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I just assumed there was a universal system. Man !! If you see Cooper with a funny bump he's not wearing a fanny pack---I've gotten him microchipped with every one out there.:rolleyes:

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I also heard the systems are not yet universal and it was recommended that I use the same system as the local SPCA/Humane Society uses.

krdahmer
July 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Mine were all free, my vet included them last year in the cost of your visit, to encourage more people to have their pets chipped (it even came with one month of vet insurance... which I promptly used all of for Fagan when he injured his leg-talk about lucky, she saved me $500!). Normally I think they charge $40.

Dobb
July 29th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I have one of our dogs chipped, they did it when she was spayed,,the other dog was spayed when we got her,,first time she has to go under anasthetic we will have her done too. Seems to me there was a thread on here about a year ago about a person's cat that was stolen. It was micro-chipped, had very definite markings, the owner was sure that her cat was brought to a vet by another person. I remember the owner said that the vet would not scan the cat without permission from the supposed new owner. If that is the case,,micro-chipping may not be much good if your pet is stolen. Maybe one of the moderators remembers this thread and can bring it back up, or correct me if I mixed up the facts,,
Dobb

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Dobb,you are correct,but I too do not remember where or when it was..
I had a young cat"visiting"me every night wanting to move in(2004),one rainy night I brought him inside and called our HS,she checked for a chip and we were able to contact the very happy owner.

I_love_mischa
July 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I am scared to micro-chip my cat. I will never get it done...I don't mean to sound weird, but I believe that during the "end times" of the world that humans are going to get micro chipped in their left hand or forehead and it's supposed to be the mark of the beast. Therefore, because of the name "micro-chip", I will not doom my cat!! I think it is a very good system, it's an excellent way to find your pet. However, I guess just because of the knowledge I've had about the Bible....the sound of it just creeps me out! I really don't mean to sound weird...it's just how I feel. Do any of you worry about that? Or has it never crossed your mind?:frown:

joeysmama
July 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM
No I don't relate micro chipping to the end times. I know what you're referring to but I see this as apples and oranges. This is a safety measure, having nothing at all to do with anything spiritual. I don't think that by having your animal microchipped that you are pledging them as belonging to any being, besides yourself.

It's more like making sure your child has his address and phone number memorized, or written on a paper inside his sneaker, before they go on a field trip. Since the animals can't rattle off mommy's name and number this is a way for the authorities to get the info.

I think I understand what you mean about being creeped out. When my kids were small the schools issued ID cards with their photos and fingerprints in case of an abduction. I knew that the purpose of those cards was to identify missing children who didn't make it home alive. So it was creepy to me when they brought the card home.

So I glanced at it, said a very fervent prayer that it would never ever be needed and put it away.

Frenchy
July 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
However, I guess just because of the knowledge I've had about the Bible....the sound of it just creeps me out!

What the heck is religion have to do with this ? :confused:

I_love_mischa
July 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I think it's an excellent idea, and a very smart one too. It makes total sense because when they get lost...it's really hard to find them. I don't know though, I just don't like the sound of it. If I had never heard of that, then I woud totally do it. Yeah I agree with you joseysmama, all this new identification stuff really makes ya think. I like your anology with having your kids memorize your address, it kind of put it in prospective for me. I still can't bring my self to do it though.

bendyfoot
July 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
What the heck is religion have to do with this ? :confused:

Gotta agree with you there Frenchy. I've read that big ol' book too, but don't recall anything about microchips in there.:shrug:

ANYway...we have microchipped animals. We are happy about it, and will likely always microchip. I worked at a vet clinic for a number of years and I can tell you that nothing could elicit a more releived "PHEW!" than when a lost pet was brought in by a good samaritan, and a microchip scan led us quickly to the distraught owner.

Inverness
July 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I don't know where you live since "NorthEast" could even be China really, :p , but BMDLuver does microchip fundraising : http://www.teddyscaninerailroad.com/fundraiser.cfm

If you are not anywhere close to Montreal, maybe you could check with local rescue groups if any of them do this too ? Serves two purposes at the same time. :thumbs up

I've microchipped all my dogs myself and really, none even bothered to react, not even my 11 lbs Doxie. Dogs really don't have the same threshold for pain as us. Or maybe it just doesn't hurt and we are just scared of the needle... ;)