Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sore foot

pitgrrl
July 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Streets has a sore/irritated area on his foot and I'm trying to figure out if I need to take him to the vet or if I'm over reacting and should just deal with it myself.

(for the record, last year when he had a similar issue I did take him to the vet, who suggested I do basically what I'm doing now, so since I bug her every week I don't want to go running to the clinic if I'm just over reacting)

He had the same problem last summer, I think it's a combo of walking with uneven pressure on his foot, hot concrete and lots of walks which causes this, as the fur in that area is all worn down to almost nothing.

It was mush more red and inflamed when I first noticed it, but I've been soaking his foot, applying a topical med and making him wear a boot when we go for walks. All signs are that it's getting better, slowly, but in the last day or so he's begun to lick the foot, which is why I'm a bit concerned.

Anyway, any opinions on the matter would be appreciated, here's a not so great photo of the area (which is right next to my thumb, along the side of the toe pad).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/streetssorefoot.jpg

Dr Lee
July 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Looks like there is some pododermatitis (skin inflammation between the toes). It sounds like your treatment plan is sound and with her getting better, I would continue to do what you are doing. Of course, if the clinical signs persist or worsen, I would take her to your vet asap. If she is limping at all, I would recommend a veterinarian visit.

After you get a sore/blister/inflammation - often the healing process can start to be itchy (like an itchy scab). Since the skin hasn't been cut or torn - you may want to place some cortisone cream in between the toes to reduce some of the itchiness. (I assume the topical medication you are applying is an antibiotic ointment? )

Good luck:pawprint:

pitgrrl
July 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks Dr. Lee. I should have mentionned, the skin of the webbing between his toes looks really red in that picture (due to my red walls reflecting light), but is infact just a light pink. The area doesn't seem hot nor is it leaking anything, for whatever that's worth.

Streets doesn't show any signs of pain when I touch the area and isn't limping or anything like that, but that said, he's tough, stoic little freak, making it hard to tell when something is wrong. Really, I wish they could talk sometimes.

Dr Lee
July 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
It sounds like Streets is in good hands!!!:thumbs up

mummummum
July 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
A friend of mine with a Dobie has him wear boots year round as they are big on walking, cycling and running for exactly the same reason Pitgrrrl.

And you just never know ~ there might be a microscopic piece of glass or thorn stuck in there as well. When I catch Bridie and Declan licking at their pads I either flush it with a syringe or put the water on low pressure and turn the shower hose on it then soak the paw in epsom salts.

pitgrrl
July 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Oh, we had a tiny piece of glass issue a couple of weeks ago. It seems like one of Streets' paws is always having some issue or another.

I have been soaking it though (and annoying him with many close inspections), but it's good to have someone else confirm that it's a decent idea to be doing that.