Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fagan and Palomine off to the Vets!

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
ARGH!!!
Well Fagan and Palomine have an appointment tomorrow at 4pm. Fagan still has his lump from the last Depomedrol shot, going on 6 weeks ago now which is an unusually long time to me. So to be safe we'll get the vet to give it a feel. (Plus Littlemomma has me all flustered from all her ordeal!;) )
And I saw Palomine eat a little of the dry food I had left out (Wellness core) and noticed that although he did eat it, he was not chewing it. And that coupled with the fact that he seems to eat his wet just fine but lost a large amount of weight when I changed dry foods to one that requires a lot of crunching, I'm thinking he may have something going on with his teeth. (Even though Buddy was first in line when we have the money to get his cleaned- he is not having any trouble eating so Palomine is jumpin the list!)

I was hummin and hawing about the moola and hubby said to stop being stupid and just take him. Plus I'll feel better once I know exactly how much he's lost, he went up a bit now that I have figured out that he will eat the Merrick wet food, so for now thats what he's getting.

Oh and on that topic how much wet do you feed if that is all they are eating? I'm giving him a half can watered down so its about a full cup total. Not sure thats enough though and I am not sure of his weight right now... my guess would be about 9-10 lbs.

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM
My two mainly eat the dry, but I give them each about half a 6 ounce can probably 2 or 3 times a week. It's hard to tell who eats more of the food. I suspect Vlad does, but Oksana looks good for her size so I suspect she's getting her good bit of food.

How much does your vet charge for cleaning their teeth? I'm having a time trying to get mine used to allowing me to do it.

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
The vet told me about $250 for a cleaning, but while Buddy is under they may have to extract some because she thinks she can see a bit of erosion starting at the gumline (FORL). I'm sure all vets are different with the prices though.

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Ouch! That's more than my teeth. I'll have to ask my vet. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to brush their teeth.

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM
ARGH!!!
Oh and on that topic how much wet do you feed if that is all they are eating? I'm giving him a half can watered down so its about a full cup total. Not sure thats enough though and I am not sure of his weight right now... my guess would be about 9-10 lbs.

Most cats do fine with between 6-9oz (2 or 3 of the little cans) of food per day, depending on their size and age and activity level. For example, Aztec gets a 3oz can in the morning and another one in the evening. He weighs about 15lbs, but he's also 14+ yrs old and doesn't move so fast anymore. And he's on a (very gradual) diet (shhhh, don't tell him that or he'll start going on midnight pantry raids again).

Basically, if a cat needs to gain weight, feed it more, to lose weight, feed it less. Sounds pretty obvious, I know, but there really is no magic formula beyond that. :)

hazelrunpack
July 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
:fingerscrs and crossed :pawprint:s for good results at the vet all around, krdahmer!

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
:yell: I should have known better than to research this lump stuff... suddenly the moola is the LEAST of my worries! :frown: Darn Wikopedia....:frustrated:

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 09:13 PM
WHEW!~:)

Well the vet visit went well, the vet said that she would be more concerned if the lump was due to vaccines. She said it felt like a granuloma forming or just an abcess, I am to keep an eye on it for the next month and if it grows bring him in right away, if not but it stays the same bring him back in a month and she will drain it to see what is in it (ie.infection), then if it is still a problem (granuloma) we'll remove it. If it goes away, maybe Fagan can get a break from the vets! :D

Palomine is great, his weight is ideal (although to me underweight, but that is of course when I compare him to the rest of my kitties). He had a few red spots and some inflamation around a few teeth, but she said that wouldn't put him off the dry food. I got an oral gel I can use on him and buddy to help with the inflamation/infected areas. Otherwise she said his teeth looked good too. However she did talk me into getting him one of his shots, fvrccp, only because we are unsure of whether or not he ever had boosters as a kitten, and he does get mild resp. infections a few times a year. She suggested that I feed him 1/4 can more a day until he is no longer teetering on underweight.

So all went well and the boys were only mildly traumatized because 'grandma and grandpa' (my parents-cat sitters extraordinaire) brought the air conditioned van to take us, Fagan really likes the big windows too. They are back to normal and I feel a whole lot better. I am going to try to only check the lump every few days so that I dont irritate it, but we'll see how I do there...:rolleyes:

:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
July 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sounds like they had a busy day, but I'm glad they got a clean bill of health.

hazelrunpack
July 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear the vet visit went well! :highfive: Whew!, eh? :o