Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat difficulty eating, vet sent home

snowdrop
July 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
hi, our cat has had difficulty eating her food despite an interest in stronger smelling food. she has lost a lot of weight. the vet found fluid in abdomen but did not remove it. she has very pale gums and inside ears. the vet told us that it is probably feline lukemia and said there was nothing more to be done. however bloodwork came back negative. I am not sure however as she has an interest in food, no fever and i can't understand why she cannot chew/drops food and makes a lot of grating noise when eating - any advice? thanks

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Second opinion. I would see another vet and get some more advice. And did that vet check the teeth and mouth thoroughly, it could be an infected tooth.

Jim Hall
July 25th, 2007, 04:18 PM
wow thats strange the vet really just said go home and do nothing?
ANd if the test came back neg and she still eats maybe she has a problem with jaw or gums?

LittleMomma
July 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I agree.... second opinion time!

badger
July 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
How can the blood come back negative for a cat that possibly has FL? You should definitely get a second opinion. And I agree that his mouth should be investigated carefully, also his jaw function. Are you having to force-feed him? Because he must eat. The vet has special high protein food you could try.
Please let us know what happens. Good luck to kitty, he's lucky to have you on his side.