Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing new Himalayan to old Himalayan

holmern
July 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi

Kinda new to this forums but looked around and couldnt find an answer to this.

Basically we have had a Himalayan for about 6 months.. this cat is about 18 months old now and it was starting to get lethargic and jumping on our feet when we walked passed.. we looked around and some suggested that we should get a playmate for it.

Now we have gotten another 2 year old himalayan that we are trying to introduce to our old one. The new cat seems to have no problems accepting the old one.. but our old one keeps hissing and growling at the new one.

We have only had the new one for 4 days though.

Every day I try to pet the new cat with a cloth and give it to the old cat.. I also let the old cat into the "saferoom" that the new cat has every now and then (while putting new cat in another room).

Is it normal that it keeps hissing and growling at the new cat?

And if so.. how long does it take for them to adjust? Become friends or ignore eachother completely?

We just want to be able to open the doors so the cats can at least walk freely.

Thanks.

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
That all sounds pretty normal. The 'old' cat is establishing the chain of command by hissing and growling to let the new one know that its their territory. I have introduced a whole whack of cats in the last few years, and it can take anywhere from a few weeks to years before they get buddy buddy. ( I have some who still only just tolerate each other.) With only two though you should find them chasing each other and playing soon enough. Just make sure that if there are any skirmishes that they never draw blood and that the hissing and growling isn't too loud, a normal good natured wrestle should end after a hiss or two, indicating one no longer wants to play. Just be patient and I'm sure they'll be getting along in no time. And congrats on the new addition! I've always believed that you can never have just one cat... they need friends too!:cat: :cat: :goodvibes:

Oh and after 4 days you could probably omit the saferoom the more time they have to actually sniff each other and check each other out the faster they get to know one another. I usually only give a few days of 'under door' sniffing before letting them out (oh and always the new cat locked away, never the old one.... then they switch places just the once for a thorough sniffing... and are let loose.).

holmern
July 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
We let the new cat out of the bedroom. He keeps trying to approach our old cat.. and she keeps hissing. Guess its normal. At least they arent fighting.. gonna try to wait it out and see what happens.

Love4himies
July 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Himalayans are my favourite. Females don't seem to be overly accepting of new kitties in their established territory. They do not have an aggressive nature, but will let the new kitty know who is boss. If they are not fighting, I would allow them to be together while you are around to supervise and new kitty should be put in his safe room when you are out.

I have never had a problem introducing cats in my house but have ALWAYS had hissing and growling initially. The longest I have kept two cats seperated is 24 hours.

Allow the kitties to interact without interference unless there is fighting. If you are stressed while they are together, old kitty WILL pick up on this and may also become stressed making the situation worse.

Do you have any pictures of the beauties to post??

PS Himalayans are generally very lethargic cats, sleeping on average 18 hours a day.

holmern
July 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah I heard that females are more stubborn than males... Turns out that the new addition is a male, and the old one is female. Only drawback is that the new one is the older one.. about 6 months older than our first cat. Read that that might make it take a bit longer than it would introducing a younger cat.

keener
July 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I have a question. My friend just got a male himilayan kitten and I have a female himilayan kitten. We live in different apartments in the same building.
I had my kitten first, he just got his, they were together for about 15 minutes, my kittten hissed and growled the whole time I was holding her. His kitten just sniffed of all of her toys. He has now taken his kitten hold to intrudice him to his new home.
Will they ever get along? Should we get them together every day till they get use to each other?
We need help!!!
Thanks,
Keener

badger
July 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
They really need to live together to get the bond you are looking for; every time you bring them together it will be on one or the other's territory, which can complcate things. If they lived together, they would eventually work out some kind of arrangement. But yes, the more time they spend together (supervised of course) the better things will go. Don't worry about a bit of hissing or even a raised paw, this is normal. Aggressive stalking or biting is what you want to avoid.

And please please please don't breed them. A female starts coming into heat when she is only a few months old, you should get her spayed before that. There is a myth out there that letting a cat have one heat before spaying is 'healthy'; do NOT fall for it, it is not true. So to avoid an oops, do it early. The male should be neutered as well.

holmern
July 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Dont worry.. im not gonna breed them :) They are both spayed and neutered.

It seems like they are getting along much better as well now. There is still a little bit of growling and hissing but only when one comes towards the other in high speed. They can actually lay down next to each other and relax now so im happy. Seems like its going a little better for every day that passes.

Took a picture of them as well with my phone
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/holmern1/?action=view&current=DSC00103.jpg

badger
July 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
They are absolutely precious. Thanks for having them fixed!

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Beautiful kitties,I am glad things have calmed down,they look great together and you know we'd love to see some more pics.
and I agree,cats should ALWAYS be a pair at least,you should never have just one..
As for the breeding part,I think Badger was answering Keener:cat:

Love4himies
July 29th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Your kitties ARE BEAUTIFUL:lovestruck: . Glad they are getting along better. The female will probably always be more territorial over her fav furniture pieces and cat condos. My himie was 12 wks when I got her and my male was already in the house for 5 years. She quickly took possession of the upper areas of the cat stands and the lazyboy chair:D . I think my male was so :lovestruck: over her beauty that he let her do anything.