Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens in the car with a harness and leash?

heather17021977
July 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hey there,

We're heading to our family cottage for the entire weekend and we are bringing out furbabies with us. They aren't too bad in their carriers but I wondered if we could just get them each a harness/leash and buckle the leashes to our seat belts? That way they can look out the windows and stretch out.

Does anyone have any experiences doing this??

Thanks!

angelinazzz
July 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
i use a seatbelt for one of my dog and she absolutely loves it! she can sit and she can lay down with the leash. It takes less place then a crate and is so much easier for us!
try it!

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Yes I have, but they are much safer in the carriers with the carriers belted in, in case of an accident.

Having said that, I have done this on occasion when travelling to my in-laws, I rigged up their harness with the leash so that when buckled to the center of the back seat they could just barely reach to see out the window (they figured out the automatic windows and scared the jeepers outta me on the highway once). Be mindful though that if you choose this route it can also be dangerous in that they may get tangled or wedge themselves under the seats where there is wiring. One of you would have to keep a constant eye on them while the other drove so that the driver is not distracted.

dtbmnec
July 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I had to do it when I moved my boys...I only have one carrier...I did sit in the back seat with the two of them though :)

Pawz was OK, he just huddled under my feet. Leo ended up having an accident in the carrier. :( But he was still ok.

The worst part about taking Pawz out like that was that he kept trying to climb up my shoulder on the way to the car....poor little guy.

Megan

dudabug
July 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
It would be ok for dogs but I wouldnt let the cats roam around in the car. Just too many ways for them to get hurt or cause an accident. They would be much safer in the carriers.

jiorji
July 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
i wouldn't do it! A carrier is better. A cat can get startled at the littlest of things and there's no warning. If your cat gets scared it'll want to break free and that'll cause some injury to them and the person trying to calm them down.

be careful

heather17021977
July 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Well we have 2 carriers and 3 kittens (2 are 6 months old, one is almost 4 months old). I would use the harness and leash on one of the 6 month old kittens. He's pretty easy going and would sit on my lap even though on the leash. At the vet he didnt even flinch sitting on my lap when dogs were in his face sniffing him. Loved it.

Anyways, I think we'll put two in the carriers and one on the leash, that should be much more managable.

Thanks!