Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Socialization with other dogs advice needed!!

Talia
July 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I really want to socialize my dog, for many reasons, but the main one is so that he doesn't attack bigger dogs than him (he is really small). The only problem is that Im so afraid of letting him meet other dogs!! What if they snap on him or hurt him :frown:
Any ideas?

pitgrrl
July 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Why not try and find one other dog to start, one who is good with smaller dogs. Perhaps you have a friend you could set up a play date with, or friends of friends? If your really stuck for people, I know of a couple of people and their dogs who have have good luck posting something on craigslist describing exactly what they're looking for in a playmate for their dog.

You could also start by walking your dog on leash with other dogs, let yourself and the dogs relax and get used to eachother before progressing to any other types of interactions.

It might also help you to watch other dogs playing and try to get familiar with dog body language. If you're better able to read your and others' dogs, you'll be more likely to see any problems coming ahead of time. There are also books on the subject if you search amazon or the like.

The other thing is to relax, if you're tense about a situation your dog will pick up on it and it can make an otherwise fine situation go badly.

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yup, it's absolutely critical that YOU relax. My dogs are so finely tuned into my moods and thoughts I describe them as telepathic and empathic.

In addition to pitgrrrl's great suggestions, you can also try a doggy daycare or play centre for an afternoon or enroll in an obedience class or recreational stuff like agility or flyball where you will be in a controlled environment with a professional to give you some guidance (or intervene if needed).

And as a big dog person ~ I thank you for being concerned enough to give your dawg a well-rounded social life. We're always being challenged by small doggies whose people think it's "cute" and "harmless" = NOT!

Riluke
July 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
We took Luke to 'puppy Kindergarten ' for help with socialization and it was great.

They had time to interact and play with each other in a controlled setting and learned to play without bullying or dominating. They broke them into groups based on size and/or personality. Such as bigger dogs, small/senstive dogs, and the middle of the road personalities. So in one group you may have had smaller dogs but with them was a very tentative Newfoundland Puppy :laughing: . It also got your dog used to other people handling them as well. Well worth the money.