Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vaccine lump removed today (update)

LittleMomma
July 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I think this is good news??? Well, we had kitty's vaccine lump removed today. I was so scared (as you know if you've read the other threads)!! Her surgery went very well and she is recovering well. Vet said he didn't see any evidence of cancer but we obviously must wait about a week until the biopsy results come back. He did, however, say that he removed some "abnormal tissue" there but it looked to him like possibly fat that was discolored b/c it was traumatized and had bled into itself. He said he was worrisome in the fact that it was discolored but it doesn't look cancerous to him. Anyone know what to think about that?? Good news he doesn't think it's cancerous, though, right!??! Although I did make the same stupid mistake I always make and googled something and apparently discoloration of adipose tissue could mean Liposarcoma which can happen from vaccines. Too bad they can't anesthetize me until her biopsy results are in.

krdahmer
July 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have no idea... but don't worry, whatever the reason kitty will be ok...
Glad to hear surgery went well and hope the lump is NOT the c word! :pray: :goodvibes:

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
:sorry: LittleMomma ~ you've certainly had your share of worries. :fingerscr it's just scar tissue with old pooled blood.

LittleMomma
July 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I asked if it was scar tissue and he said no... he thought it looked like fat that was somehow injured (maybe by injections which would make sense b/c she had the vaccine and then a few combo inj's right after) that had bled into itself.

My vet knows I'm a worrywart so I'm hoping he didn't downplay something just as to not upset me until the biopsy results come in, but I specifically asked him if it looked cancerous to him and he said he didn't see any evidence of it.

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm glad the operation is over and she's doing well, LittleMomma. :grouphug: I know it's hard not to worry. Waiting is always the hardest part! :frustrated:

:fingerscrs and crossed :pawprint:s that everything turns out benign! :goodvibes:

chico2
July 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM
LittleMomma,did I not tell you to stop Googling:cat:
My Chico was vaccinated last week and after Vinnies vac-lump I am constantly checking Chico,so far so good:fingerscr
I am sure your kitty will be fine,but not if you develop an ulcer waiting for her results:cat: however I certainly understand:fingerscr

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I should have taken Chico's advice too, now I know why this is driving you nuts. Frikkin Wikopedia.... I just had to look, :frown: . Fagan's lump is hard this time, and not going away.... and now that I did research I am freaking out.:yell: I want to know what it is like yesturday.... it's gonna take all I have to talk myself down so I can sleep tonight. I'm gonna :pray: for both our kitties tonight. :cat: :cat: :goodvibes:

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Dahmer,I know what you mean,I just read about cancer developing from vaccines:frown: why do not the vets warn us about all the possible effects,even if it is a low risk???
A risk is a risk,one we might not want to take...........:yell:

LittleMomma
July 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Told you! Google is evil when it comes to all things medical. Worst case scenario all over the place. I realize it is rare, but when there's a lump on your kitty, the rarity doesn't seem to matter. My husband thinks that no one ever talks about the positive online but when something goes wrong they want to raise awareness, thus the amount of gloom and doom out there. And while I tend to agree, I can't help but fret over it!

And while we are still waiting for the biopsy results, the Vet didn't see any evidence of anything malignant (good news) but it's the "abnormal tissue that was discolored" that is getting the best of me now. He said he thinks it could be adipose tissue that was injured (perhaps by the vacc) that bled into itself, therefore discoloring itself.... but I went and googled it and came up with Liposarcoma which GUESS WHAT... can be caused by vaccines (eventhough fibrosarcoma is most common). I swear. I'm going out of my head here! I just want to cry. I've psyched myself up SO much that when I finally go get the call with the results I think I'll faint either way.

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Ya this is an exerpt from what I was reading in the wikopedia article on Feline Vaccine Sarcoma

Precautionary measures
New vaccine protocols have been put forth by the American Association of Feline Practitioners that limit type and frequency of vaccinations given to cats. Specifically, the vaccine for feline leukemia virus should only be given to kittens and high risk cats, and the core vaccines for rabies, feline panleukopenia, feline viral rhinotracheitis, and feline calicivirus should only be given every three years to adult cats. Also, vaccines should be given in areas making removal of VAS easier.[13] A new canarypox vector rabies vaccine is on the market that is non-adjuvanted and creates little inflammation at the injection site.[14] There have been no specific associations between development of VAS and vaccine brand or manufacturer, concurrent infections, history of trauma, or environment.[15]



I am wondering why this is not being promoted by more vets and why I still get a vaccine reminder every year!:frustrated: I guess it pays to do your own research, if I had of known about the risk none of mine would have had vaccines last year.:frown:

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just want to cry. I've psyched myself up SO much that when I finally go get the call with the results I think I'll faint either way.

:grouphug: I have cried already!:rolleyes: And I'm with you I'll be so worked up by this afternoon, I think it's a good thing I called my mom to come with me. I'm affraid if the vet suggests we remove it and test it, I might just have a heart attack!:eek: :o

Fagan's been through so much already this year what with injuries and skin biopsies... it's just not fair!:sad:

LittleMomma
July 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Well, I just got a call back from the Vet. NOT the biopsy results but I had called to ask him whether or not the "abnormal tissue" was an actual mass or if it was just tissue. Apparently, it was NOT a mass, it was just tissue that was discolored (I guess this is why he thought it was injured and bled into fat??)

Anyway, I also had to ask him if I could give Advantage (she's due for it and she's getting some firm bumps on her chest which I think might be an allergic rxn b/c the fur is coming out where the bumps are) but it's a no-go... no Advantage until the incision is closed.

I'm praying so hard for all our kitties! I agree about arming yourself with the knowledge. Criminy!.. I never thought twice about routine vaccines. And I'm with you: had I only knows, there's no way they would have been vaccinated (ESP the FeLV!)

She has a small lump on the other side, where the Rabies was administered but it's very small (you really have to look for it) but I think she will be having that removed as well, no matter what the biopsy results are. The sarcomas arise from the inflammatory response. So I'll give that one a few more wks and if it's not resolved, I think I'll have that out.

So I'm hoping tomorrow will bring happy results! And if the results aren't in yet, I hope I can stand to wait another day!

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Oh and I also read that if they are indeed sarcomas, it is of the utmost importance to have them removed within the 3-10 week mark, which is why I made the appointment for Fagan as soon as I read the article.
We have all our fingers and paws crossed here that you hear good news!!:goodvibes:

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Dahmer and Littlemomma,my Rocky is the next one to have his vaccines and it is not going to happen,he has enough problems with his Hyperthyroidism.
At 11yrs old,with 11 yrs worth of vaccines,I would think he does not need any more,maybe in three yrs.
Good luck with Fagan :pray:
Oh,and where did you find that article about Precutionary measures,I'd like to print it out,the vet is not going to be happy not vaccinating Rocky.

LittleMomma
July 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Chico ~ if you google (if you DARE to google) the Vaccine Associated Sarcoma Task Force it is a group of astute veterinarians that convened to develop a plan of action when dealing with VAS or potential VAS. There are guidelines there. As for the lumps themselves, their guidelines are the '3-2-1 rule' - if the lump is still present 3 months post-vacc (thats what got us to the vet), if its larger than 2 cm in diameter (hers was borderline) or if it still getting larger 1 month post-vacc. They also suggest that if your animal ever has ANY vaccine rxn, malignant or not, to really work with your vet to develop a plan. Our plan is NO MORE VACCs, but again, it depends on your individual situation. Since it's the inflammation that is believed to activate the oncogenesis (cancer-forming) and any injection can produce inflammation, our vet said no more shots - except for corticosteroids and such since by nature they are ANTIinflammatory.

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

Thats the article I was reading Chico, and I got talked into Palomine getting one of the shots today:rolleyes: , but the vet made sense... and did not try to persuade me about the others. Palomine came to us very ragged and we have no idea where from so we couldn't even guess as to whether he ever had booster shots as a kitten, so he will have one this year and rabies next year and that will be it for him too, all my others are up to date, and if all goes well, not seeing the vet again until they need old age bloodwork!! :fingerscr ;)

LittleMomma
July 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm going crazy over here!! I called this morning to get the results and the lady called me back (receptionist, not Vet) and told me that they weren't in yet so she called the lab to check the status and they told her they're experiencing a "delay" and it likely won't be in until next week :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell: I'm going nuts here!!

krdahmer
July 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
:grouphug: Hang in there momma!

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Awwww,like Badger says,hang in there!!!
But I can sooo understand how you feel:frustrated:

LittleMomma
July 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
AHHHH!!!! I could just %$^&%$ scream!!!!! I've waited all this time! The Vet said call Friday, so I called, it wasn't in due to a "delay"... they don't get anything in on weekends so I waited with bated breath all weekend, called today, they said due to a lab delay they had to sent it to another lab in the state (I sure hope that doesn't mean it was so obscure and bad no one could figure it out!??! - btw, is this possible??) but said it was coming in today.... so I paced the floors all day, waiting waiting waiting.... called again at 5pm only to be told her vet wasn't in today and he is the one to give the results... so I have to wait ANOTHER DAY!! I'm going nuts here. Seriously.

LittleMomma
July 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
OH! and if they didn't look at it right away b/c it was shipping somewhere else, are the results even viable?

chico2
July 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
OMG,how frustrating!!!
Just try to keep your cool,they don't understand how worried you are about the test-results...I certainly can understand how you feel:evil: