Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timerwolf Organics Ocean Blue and frequent poops?

celticfox
July 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I've had my two girls on it for close to a month now and it's been fabulous for Raven's numerous food allergies (her coat has never looked better) but not so great in the poop department. Rusty and Raven used to poop about 3 times a day but lately they've been going 5-6 times a day. They are pooping machines. I honestly have no idea where it all comes from! ;)

I would have thought that they'd poop less on a grain-free food but that hasn't been the case at all, obviously.

Has anyone else had the same experience with TO Ocean Blue?

SableCollie
July 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I'm having the same problem with a pit bull. She came in with a horrible coat, she couldn't even wear a collar at first because it would cause open sores on her neck. Ocean Blue cleared it right up, BUT she started pooping 7-8 times a day!! Large piles of poop. Every time I tried to cut her food back, even a little, she would start rapidly losing weight. She's on 2 cups and she's 50-55 lbs right now and a bit on the thin side. I started adding a probiotic/enzyme blend (called Digest-All by Wholistic Pet) to her food and she got much better, only 2 poops a day, firm stools. Then lately she has been getting worse again and nothing has changed. I am hesitant to take her off the food though because I am afraid her coat and skin will deteriorate, and she's still not as bad with the pooping as she was at first. I am increasing the digest-all to see if that helps. You might want to try out adding probiotics and/or digestive enzymes and see if that works for your doggies.

wdawson
July 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM
why not try the wilderness elk and salmon......i have a senior beagle and a younger pitx on it and both look good are healthy and only poop a max 3 times a day.....only 2 times if i'm in bed early....:D .....then its 4 times the next day:sad:

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Well, I only have about a year of "kibble" under my belt so I don't know much but...I thought my gang pooped less (volume and frequency) on TO than with most of the other kibble brands we had tried. Currently using Orijen 6 fish.

rainbow
July 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
When you switch to a premium holistic food there is a detox period while their digestive systems adjust which causes more poop which is often quite soft. This detox period can take 2-4 months depending on the dog and what food it was on previously and for how long. :)

SableCollie
July 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
This detox period can take 2-4 months depending on the dog and what food it was on previously and for how long. :)
My pit bull has been on ocean blue for 7 months and we are still struggling with her having soft/too much poops.

rainbow
July 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
My pit bull has been on ocean blue for 7 months and we are still struggling with her having soft/too much poops.

I would try switching her food and supplementing with coconut oil for her coat/skin condition.

Dog Dancer
July 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
My two girls were on Ocean Blue for quite a while, not sure exactly how long, also for allergies. Their stools became very firm, but much more frequent. I couldn't walk them without having at least five bags in my pockets (for two dogs) per walk. I now have them on Innova Evo Red Meat but have only just switched so I can't say yet what will happen here. I too thought the poop would be less on the grain free, but not for us!

SableCollie
July 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I would try switching her food and supplementing with coconut oil for her coat/skin condition.
She's on mega doses of salmon oil right now. I don't really have much of a choice with food. We have ocean blue for skin issues, and then our "regular food " which changes with every bag...all high-quality, but we get what we can get, and I don't think she could handle changing food every month. I think stress is affecting her digestion too, she's going kennel-crazy, I am just hoping she gets adopted soon.

rainbow
July 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I forgot that you worked at an animal shelter. :o But, don't you think that coconut oil would be more beneficial to her than salmon oil? :)

SableCollie
July 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry, I forgot that you worked at an animal shelter. :o But, don't you think that coconut oil would be more beneficial to her than salmon oil? :)
Salmon oil is what we have. We buy it in gallon jugs through an account we have at the pet store. There's just no way we'd be able to afford coconut oil, it's so expensive.

Of course if you think she would do much better on coconut oil, I could always send her to your house, she'd like that! :D

rainbow
July 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I just assumed you had Sable on coconut oil from one of your posts when it was discussed here awhile back. :shrug: Then in this thread you said "my pit bull" so I just figured they could share. :D

I'm still waiting to switch my two boys over to coconut oil but have to wait until hubby is cleared to go back to work and we have an income again. :o

So, I'll send you some good luck for her to get adopted to a great forever home instead. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

SableCollie
July 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Good luck we can use!!! :)

Sable is on coconut oil, but not every day, it is so expensive, I have to rotate with cheaper oils. I can't afford to buy more just for the shelter....unless they suddenly decide to start paying me more money, which is unlikely. :o

I say Bella is "my pit bull" because she doesn't have a person of her own, so I am her substitute person...plus she is my favorite, she's been with us for 7 months.