Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy breeding ethics BUYER BEWARE

rkymtn
July 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Just saying hello, this is my first post. I have just had a very bad experience with a Yorkie puppy that we purchased, who after 2 weeks we had to have put down. Her skull had not completely closed over, she had seizures... it was not a good time for any of us. Worst of all is the breeder is refusing to compensate. We did not have a health guarantee, which in hindsite I know we should have, the dog was not a papered dog, so no recourse other than to try to get her to do the right thing, which I don't think she will. A lot of money out of pocket, not to mention the heartache of losing such a beautiful little pup.
Yes she did have a Vet check up at 6 weeks or so, and was given a clean bill of health - but the Vet didn't even notice the incomplete closure of her skull, so that tells me how thorough the check up was.

Sad sad sad - just a reminder to all, no matter how good things seem, get things in writing and cover all the bases. There are no guarantees, but it should help.

Eve

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a back yard breeder to me :sad:

clm
July 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Sad lesson learned all too often by too many people I'm afraid. If you want a purebred dog, look to a rescue first. If you insist on getting one from a breeder, research, research, research. Find a reputable breeder and pay the going rate for that breed.....may be hundreds more than a byb charges, maybe not some byb's and pet shops charge more than a good breeder, but a good breeder will stand by their puppies and will want to know a lot about you before they even sell you one of their pups.
I'm so sorry you lost your puppy.

Cindy

m_feng
July 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Hello there,
I just become the new member of this site. When I saw the messages of this forum, I think I should support to fight against puppy mills or unethical breeding. I usually get my family dogs from a reputable dog breeders. Just last year, I adopted a 4 yrs. old dog through a friend after my 14 yrs. old Rotti died in 2004. That dog was a mix breed and came from pet store. At first, I was not sure about getting a pet store (product), but I fell in love with that poor dog at first sight. After a few months, we enjoyed doing fun things together and truly connected. Suddenly, the dog was sicked, vomitting, diarriea,etc. When we took her to the vet, we was told that she had kidney failure. No wonder she did not enjoy eating even we put any tastey treats in her food. It was an agony to see her struggle to the last minute. The vet suggested to put her down for good. In short, I think we should not buy dogs from unethical breeders, pet store & puppy mills. Sad!!!!!!!