Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A New Addition

Cathy1
July 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I pick up a cat named Patches tomorrow around noon. She is around 1 1/2 yrs old. That gives me 2 dogs and 2 cats. She used to dogs & cats so hopefully it goes well. She is not spayed yet but will be very soon. The dogs get very excited and they want to run up to cats so if anyone has any tips please post. She will have her own room so I can introduce them slowly. I never had any problem introducing my first cat but I had only one dog at the time.
This is the only pic I have so far.

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cathy,she's a lucky girl and very pretty,hope all goes well:fingerscr

krdahmer
July 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
OOOh she's one of those really light torties... they are so pretty and delicate looking! Congrats and hope the transition goes smooth!:goodvibes:

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Cathy ~ she's simply lovely. Maybe she will have the kind of personality that isn't phased by overly rambunctious "Glad ta meetcha ! Glad ta meetcha !!!!" kind of dogs.:fingerscr

Cathy1
July 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I'm excited but also nervous. The woman I'm getting her from gave me some websites about introducing so I'm reading that.

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Good luck with the intros! :fingerscr I hope all goes smoothly. She's such a little beauty. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Good luck with the introduction. She's quite lovely! Please post some more pictures soon!

geoffh4
July 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Ive always had WAY more difficulty introducing 1 cat to the other than 1 cat to a dog used to cats.

If shes used to dogs, and your dogs are used to cats, I dnt think you'll ahve to worry

Cats are very territorial with other cats, however, so be careful with the two of them. Here is what worked for us:

Give your new cat something to sleep on that can be easily moevd, like a towel/sheet/pillow/etc

After a night of having her on it, give it to your old cat. This will allow the old cat to get used to the smell

Then slowly introduce them, giving them a minimal time together before separating them again.

Your new cat will probably be a total mess for about 2 weeks, and then get over it! Dont give up if it doesnt seem to be going well. As long as they aren't hurting each other, time usually fixes things eventually!

Cathy1
July 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
So far everything is great. It's hard to leave the house without the dogs so we took them with us but they stayed in the 3rd seat of the truck with no problems, Patches was in the front seat with us. She could see them but there was no hissing or meowing, she played with my fingers and purred all the way home. I still can't believe how calm she was in the truck. We put her in the spare room with a baby gates and my cat Zoey and the 2 dogs laid by the door and Patches tried to play with them through the gates. I know Zoey is great with all other cats but I was worried about the dogs being very excited and scaring her but she tries to give head butts to the dogs through the gates and the dogs run wildly through the house and right back to the gate. Patches doesn't even hiss or back away. Right now the dogs are napping in their beds and Zoey is sleeping beside the gates with Patches. How long before I can let Patches out and should I send the dogs outside when I let Patches out so her and Zoey can be alone together?

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, at least you know they aren't afraid of each other. I kept my two separated for about a week. But I'd had Vlad from a tiny thing, so I think he took longer to socialize.

Your's seem to be at least tolerating patches. Maybe you can take your other kitty into the room with patches for a little while today and let them get a little closer? I don't know, I'm a newbie at introducing cats.

chico2
July 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Cathy,it sounds as Patches will be doing ok and if Zoey is not hissing and growling,maybe it is ok to introduce the cats to each other,having a spraybottle of water on hand,just in case.
I would probably wait one more day,it took me 2 weeks before I could leave Vinnie freely in the house with Chico and Rocky,but he was a wee kitten.
I would also keep the dogs away,just for a bit,start with introducing the 2 cats,but the dogs seem like they'll enjoy the new furry:cat: :dog:

Cathy1
July 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I let Patches out this morning while my husband took the dogs to the park and she started jumping sideways at Zoey then Zoey got up yawned and went to her bed. Zoey slept by the gates with Patches and now that she is out Zoey's not interested.:shrug: I think they are going to be ok. She is very good with the dogs, she is constantly rubbing against them but that doesn't last long because Jasper wants to chase her. I think she likes it because she will walk over to Jasper and hit him then run if Jasper is not behind her she meows. She has been doing this for a couple hrs. now. Duke lays and waits for Patches to approach him but Jasper blocks her from going to Duke. I think he is jealous. She went to the vet today and came out with some shots and clean bill of health. She will be spayed Aug.8, and I also found out that she is not 1 1/2 yrs. she is 5-6 months old.:rolleyes: I only saw a picture of her when I picked her. My husband is not a cat person but he is now napping with Patches on his chest.

ancientgirl
July 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM
AWWW...sounds like everyone is getting along great. I'm glad you were able to make the transition smoothly.

LOL, I love the sideways jumping. It's so funny to watch. Vlad is over half Oksana's size, and now and then I see her chasing him, so I know they're having fun. Doesn't it give you so much joy knowing they're enjoying themselves?

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
athy,that's great,sounds like Zoey is a very laid-back cats,mine would be totally up in arms over a new cat:laughing:
Soon enough the not-beeing-a-catperson-hubby,will be converted,mine was:laughing:

rainbow
July 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Great to hear everyone is getting along and that Patches has won over your hubby. :highfive: