Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about innova and felidae

loopoo
July 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
hi

just wondered as i read the itchmo forums from time to time, if anyone was having issue with innova or evo dry, large breed or regular for dogs, or felidae or canidae wet recently? seems like alot over there have, and i just wanted to hear if anyone here was experiencing that or was fine with either or both foods.

Cathy1
July 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have been feeding Innova Dry to both my dogs since April and have never had any problems.

SableCollie
July 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
We have Canidae canned at the shelter. No problems. However I have been avoiding their dry food since I began reading the problems on the itchmo forums. There's a bit on their front page now about it.
Toxin tests performed on Innova dog food (by an Itchmo member) got more attention today when the CEO of Natura, Peter Atkins, posted their test results. Natura owns the Innova brand.

On Jun 4, 2007, Donna (Itchmo username PFR07PS) received test results on her sample of Innova dog food from ExperTox stating that it tested positive for acetaminophen and cyanuric acid. She was prompted to test for toxins after spotting black and white chunks in the Innova kibble.

Innova Kibble with specksShe paid for two tests. The first, performed on the dog kibble itself, tested negative for toxins. However, the second test, performed on just the black and white specks in the dog food (shown in photo) tested positive for cyanuric acid and acetaminophen.

Natura’s CEO said that the specks in the dog food are vitamin mineral premixes that did not dissolve during the manufacturing process — something Atkins said was “very uncommon”. He also added that the amounts of vitamins found in the kibble should not present any problems for pets.
The results found its way on to the ItchmoForums. Yesterday, the CEO of Natura responded in the thread with their test results — including a test of a similar batch of dog food from ExperTox. The sample of dog food sent in by Donna in May to Natura was not tested.

Atkins said:

Samples of both the retained samples of the actual production run for Donna’s food (the retain sample is a composite of the entire production run and does include a representative sample of Donna’s food, including a sample taken directly in the middle of the two samples that she sent us - i.e. Donna’s samples were stamped 2019 and 2022; our retain is time stamped 2021) and the premix used in that production was sent to two different laboratories for testing. As expected, both tests have come back negative for acetaminophen contamination.

He also continued on to apologize to Natura’s customers via the post, however Donna says that she has yet to receive a call from Atkins.
http://www.itchmo.com

rainbow
July 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I have been feeding Innova kibble (regular adult) for about a year and never had any problems. We just finished the last bag yesterday that I was mixing in with the Orijen grain-free that I decided to try.