Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stressed out Kitty....

venus_192000
May 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I have recently broke off a three year relationship and am moving into a new Apartment. I am concerened that my cat will be terribly stressed by this process and the loss of my Ex's attention. I have been debating on adopting another cat to keep my old one company and I'm just curious what people think about timing for this event. Do you think it's better to stress the cat all at once with the loss od my partner, the move and the addition of another animal or should I move in wait to get settled and then add the new addition? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I would not get another cat right now. If your cat is the kind who is easily stressed, I would put him in one room in the new residence for at least a day after you move before letting him have the run of the whole new place.

After he is perfectly settled in and content, then you can think about another cat. How old is he(she?) Do you know if he likes other cats?

YOU are probably very stressed as well.:( Both of you need to get used to the new place and routine first.

canadiangirl
May 11th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I agree with Lucky Rescue! When one of our cats died, we debated getting another one to keep our second cat company, but decided against it because of the added stress it would put on her. She adjusted quite well and is actually much more outgoing now than she was when she was with her brother! I think it also depends a lot on the personality of your cat - if he/she is younger and quite friendly, a buddy later on may help, but if he/she is older and set in their ways, they may enjoy the independance.
Sorry to heear about your breakup! :(

Karin
May 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I agree also. Give it some time, offer extra snuggles when you can, you both will benefit from it.