Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

gnats around the house

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I noticed since I've had my kitties I have gnats flying around a lot. I don't keep food out, and I change my garbage regularly. I sometimes notice Vlad staring around his litter and trying to swat something, which I believe is a gnat.

So, I'm just wondering, does anyone else has this problem?

krdahmer
July 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I've had a few bugs in the litter before, and once in a while a fly or smaller little fruit fly will find their way down there from a window or open door. They usually die soon after at the paws and teeth of my babies!

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I don't get how the heck they just get in there. I guess they must come in when I open my door, because I never open my windows.

Yuck!

jiorji
July 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
do you have houseplants?? fungus gnats can be from overwatering your houseplants too

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I don't have any houseplants. I have a black thumb.:frown:

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
:eek: Is it possible it's the litter itself ? I guess if you open a bag and get swarmed ~ you'll know http://bestsmileys.com/insects/3.gif

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm thinking they come from the litter, but I don't know how.

I use Fresh Step, for now, although I'm thinking of trying either Feline Pine or Sswheat.

I just can't figure out where they come from. I don't leave food lying around. I empty my garbage regularly. Then again, I do leave their food out most of the day. I feed them dry, and they are grazers. They eat little bits throughout the day. I've never been able to get Vlad to eat at one specific time. Although I guess I could, if I took the food away in the morning, then gave it to them when I got home, but I'd feel like I was being cruel, and they'd be hungry all day.

Hmm...it very well could be they've come from either the food or the litter.

heather17021977
July 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM
We use Sweat Scoop for our kitties and it's great...never had any issues with it. But since it is made of wheat it can go bad after 6 months or so. Not that a bag would last even a quarter of that!

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Very cool. I'm going to try that and Feline Pine. I want something natural for them.

And um...no chance of any of those laying around for 6 months! LOL, I'm lucky if a bag lasts me 2 weeks. My two are small, but boy do they poop a lot!

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I swear by it, this is by far the best litter I've had so far. I do a complete clean out every 3 months, and scoop it every day. I was flushing it when I lived at the apartment, mainly cause plumbing wasnt my problem, and the key is to follow the instructions for flushing, you have to let it sit and disolve a bit in the toilet first about 20 minutes, then flush and really it is no different then, then what we flush ourselves. Oh and it is a lot cheaper to buy the largest bag they have the 40lb one. Especially if its on sale by accident like I just had, PetSmart's head office made a boob and I got the 40lb bag for $25!! (instead of the usual $30)... and when you buy 5 or 6 at a time that makes a huge difference! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
That's not a bad price for something that's not going to smell and is good for your cats to use. I just really need to stop using what I currently use. I wish I could do it now, but I have to wait until payday, then I can start introducing it to them slowly. At this point, I've turned off the Litter Maid and have just begun scooping myself. I'm also just going to get a bigger box, because I noticed yesterday that Vlad is outgrowing this. Oksana is still small, but he's just growing, and doesn't have much walking room. And if I'm going to be scooping myself and its going to be there while I'm not home, they should at least have room to give themselves spots of clean litter.

krdahmer
July 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
The best thing for that is a rubbermaid type box, I find they always make the cat litter boxes deeper not wider. I like them to have more clean space so they aren't all peeing and pooping on top of the last. I got a good deal on the rubbermaids for wrapping paper a couple years ago in the summer, and the cats LOVE them, in fact I hardly scoop the covered ones except for my shy poopers. They are about 3.5 feet wide by like 1.5 feet and 5-6 inches deep, they are perfect and I find they haven't gotten the stains that the regular boxes do from them digging and peeing right on the bottom. With the six I have some that like to dig some that drop it on top and run, but I know they all like the extra space. Oh and if you are going to the wheat and the kittens are getting bigger I highly recommend getting a metal scoop, I actually broke two of the plastic ones scooping the clumps they get so hard sometimes.

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'll have to measure the spaces I'm going to put them in. I have to find something a little high on the sides too though, because of Vlad's ferocity for digging LOL. The metal scoop is a good idea though. Their stuff gets pretty heavy, and the plastic scoop I have bends sometimes.