Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 week old acting Strange... Please Help!

DanielBlakley
July 24th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Hello I have a Seven week old that I helped deliver and have raised since birth... Since it has developed coordination it has become, as expected, a big fan of climbing... The other night I woke up to hear my cat yowling the most pitiful sad hurt meow in the world, so I of course got up to see what the problem was... Turns out Chuck had climbed on top of my desk and knocked the phone off, however in the process had knocked himself off the desk (which is about 5 feet tall) as well, and had ended up tangling his back leg in the the phone wire in such a way that he was partially suspended with only his front legs barely touching the ground after being fully stretched out and that his body weight was pulling the wire tight around his rear leg... needless to say I immediately helped him out of the mess and cuddled him for the next hour and a half while I attempted to see if he had gotten injured in the process... This was all three nights ago... Since then he has begun to act very strange meowing and yowling when he is alone with me for no apparant reason even as he purrs while I am cuddling him does he yowl... At first I thought he was injured but he doesn't have a limp and he purrs, but then I read on this site that cats can purr while injured and hide their injuries well... Since I have been paying attention to it I have noticed him lick the rear leg a lot but that just could be because I am worried... He will meow and yowl no matter what I do for about an hour an a half to two hours after I come home form work and am alone with him... This is my first cat and my first experience with cats, please help!

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Daniel,your kitten is obviously not ok and you are right purring does not always mean the cat is feeling good,it can also indicate pain,the howling certainly is.
He definetly needs to see a vet ASAP,the poor little guy needs help yesterday!
Please let us know the result.

Jim Hall
July 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
im sorry but your description of your tangled kitten was so funny
the poor thing probably pulled a muscle Bring her to the vet's and let them check her out

Cats purr means I am in your group and i trust you. I can mean im happy or im hurting..

krdahmer
July 24th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Licking the leg is also a sign that it is injured, it may just be muscular and heal on its own, but a vet needs to assess it as soon as possible to rule out something more serious.

CyberKitten
July 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I agree- many cats and especially kittens will purr when they are scared or injured. Take him to a vet asap!! Like now and get him some help. Hopefully, it is not too serious - please let us know how you made out!

rainbow
July 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I also agree with everyone......please get him checked by a vet and post with an update. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: