Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is hives from Frontline common?

RWise
July 24th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I put frontline plus on my pug yesteerday morning & she has hives tonight & threw up. She seems fine now but still has hives, Could this be from the frontine or heatworm meds I gave her yesterday?

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Hard to tell because of the timing. It could be a combination of both, one or the other, or something else she came in contact with. Certainly, I would take your pug to the vet to see if there is some way to determine what she is allergic to. You'll want to have a supply of Benadryl on hand before applying either of the meds again--see what your vet recommends as dosage for the Benadryl while you're there.

Hope your pug is better! :fingerscr Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Allergic reactions can be nasty!

Dr Lee
July 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I agree with Hazelrunpack, hard to tell due to timing.

Some info on frontline and heartgard. Great medications. (we did a podcast on flea meds, if you are interested).

Frontline: active ingredient fipronil. Some allergic reactions occur but are uncommon. Medication is very safe - it absorbs into the oils glands of the fur with virtually no absorption into the blood stream. This absorption into the oil glands makes it totally waterproof and sunlight proof. If your pet ate it - it is non-toxic. Allergy possible? Yes but the clinical signs should continue as the fipronil stays in the oil glands for well over 30 days. So if the signs resolve, this is less likely.

Heartgard: most common side effect - beef allergy. This chewable is made with real beef. The active ingredients are in very small doses, if fact you need approximately 83 doses (7 year supply) to get into toxic doses. (if you are a collie or related breed, then the toxic dose is over 20 doses (maybe 30, if forget)). This medication is out of the system in less than 48 hours. Allergy possible? yes, but unlikely. If a beef allergy is present, this medication comes in a non-chewable form.

Hope that helps. :pawprint: